Over coming a problem | Teen Ink

Over coming a problem

May 15, 2008
By Anonymous

When I was in the fourth grade Miss. Cowan had me stay after school, she said she wanted to have a talk with my mom about me not paying attention in class. I told her it wasn’t my fault, and that I tried to pay attention it was just my brain had a mind of its own. I sat just out side her class room with my head down, wondering what was wrong with me. I could hear the foot steps of my mother walking down the hall. As the foot steps got closer my heart leaped into my throat. I could feel my mom’s eyes burning a hole in the back of my head as she stood right beside me. She went into the class room, I couldn’t hear what they were talking about but it probably wasn’t good. After about an hour my mom came out side and said, “Tyler come in hear”. I stood up and slowly walked in. I sat down in a desk and both of the crowded around me; I thought I was fixing to be interrogated. However I didn’t get in big trouble like I thought I was going to. Instead Miss. Cowan started telling me the reason why my brain floats off into a distant land, involuntarily. She told me I had ADHD, which mint something about attention deficit. I really didn’t understand what he was saying, but I just noted my head so that would look like I did. She said that I would have to stay after school every day so that she could help me one on one with my homework assignments. Miss Cowan smiled at me as if to say that every thing was going to be alright. As my mom and I left the school I slowly began realize what I would have to do in order to over come my ADHD. I wouldn’t get to play football and baseball with my friend’s right after school like I usually did. Instead I would be doing my school assignments in Miss. Cowan’s room, every today for two hours after school. I really didn’t think staying after school was going to fix ever thing, and I was right. School work never got any easier; I always struggled to stay focused. It was still hard to do things like read books, and I could never remember what Miss. Robinson talked about in Math. However I still went to Miss. Cowan’s room every day after school. She would grade my home work, and then she would make me correct it. She would also make me do extra problems to make sure the information stuck in my brain. We worked for weeks on end, but I still had trouble doing my homework. I didn’t understand why I did all that work, because school work still wasn’t easy. Then it was time for the end of the third six weeks. As Miss. Cowan passed out the class report, I thought to myself, great hear comes another report card full of C’s. Miss. Cowan put my report card face down on my desk, she always did that when it was a bad report card, I thought. I turned over the paper and to my amazement it was full of B’s and one A. I sat there awestruck, “how could this happen” I thought to myself. School still doesn’t come easy for me, so how can I make these kinds of grades. As I sat there in Miss. Cowan’s class I realized that I don’t have to be smart in order to make good grades, I just have to be willing to work hard enough to make good grades. It’s been years since I was in Miss. Cowan’s class, and although I have changed. The listen I learned that day still stays with me. I can do what ever I want to do if I’m willing to work hard enough.