Airplane | Teen Ink

Airplane

April 9, 2008
By Anonymous

It was July19, 2007. The summer days were just about to come to a close and the regular school day schedule was about to come around again. But before the summer ended we were taking a trip to Florida for a weed. The problem with the trip was that I was terrified of getting on a plane and myparents had already dismissed the idea ifmy mom and my brother flying to Florida and my dad driving us to Florida. I had decided even though I was terrified of getting on a plane that I would do it for my family.

The day came when it was time to leave on our trip. We were already in Dallas from the night before and got to the airport around 6:00 a.m. to leave at 8:00 a.m. When I saw all of the planes soaring into the sky it felt like my stomach had fallen down to my feet. I was thinking "I cannot do this." When we got into our flight teminal we had to check-in and go through security. everything that morning had gone off without a hitch until we reached the waiting area. The airline crew had informed us that there would be about a 30 minute delay becouse they were having engine problems. If I thought that I was scared before, I was really scarred now. The thirty minute delay turned into about an hour, but we finally got to board the plane.

Wile we were walking through the loading tunnel I was starting to feel very lightheaded like I was about to faint. I probably would have fainted if my dad would not have told me to straighten up. When we were finally in our seats waiting for takeoff. The seatbelt sign flashed indicating to put on your seatbelt on and to get ready for takeoff. But then all plans were halted. The plane is having a hard time closing its left wing flap which took another 10 minutes of delay which just added to my tension. The captain says that all systems are go and to fasten your seatbelts and get ready for takeoff. So next we feel the plane turning itself to line up with the runway. As we are steadily picking up spead I feel the plane lift off the ground and thrust into the ari. Before I knew it we were on top of Dallas and all of the big buildings looked like specs of sand. It was then I realized I had conquered my greatest fear.