Love | Teen Ink

Love

It was like that rainy day, when the storm outside keeps you from your favorite tree. How the lightening and thunder remind you why you can’t run outside barefoot. But as you stare outside and watch the grass thrive under the rain, you know that although you’re trapped inside, the outside will benefit from this storm. Besides, the rainbow at the end is the best part. That’s how we were.
They say you will never forget your first love, and it’s true, I haven’t. It’s been three long years, full of love, tears, and hate. He was everything a girl wanted, tall, dark, and handsome. I believed he was something special, and that I was fortunate enough to be part of his life. But I never expected what was soon to come.
He was a senor in high school, I was a freshman. I would say our relationship was like any other, and as the days went by I longed for him more every day. I do not know exactly what it was, maybe it was the way his hands looked after a long days work, or the way his hair never looked brushed. Whatever the reason was, I was in love. Unfortunately, the school year was at its end, and he was leaving for college. He promised to call and come every chance he had. For some reason I trusted him and believed every word.
The first semester was the hardest of all, but I loved him. I do admit he acted strange, but as long as he was mine, I did not care. As the semester went on he started coming to visit less and less. Excuses like “I’m too tired” or “Too much homework” started to sound like a song.
He finally came in September. He parked outside my house and I sat in his truck. As I sat there I wondered who all had sat here before me. I looked at him, he looked worn out, so I lead to kiss him, but he stopped me. “Look Nance,” he said, “We have to talk.” “Oh no,” I thought. As I sat there thinking what it could be about, I saw a Hallmark card on the floor, so I picked it up to read. It said: “Happy anniversary baby, I love you!” at that moment, my heart felt as if someone had just punched my heart a million times in three seconds. I turned to him and glared at him with a stare I never knew I had. He bowed his head and said, “I’m sorry you found out this way, but there is no easy way to say it.” I sat there and stared at the card for a good five minutes, frozen, thinking about all the lies he must have told, and how stupid I was to believe them all.
After I grasped what had happened, I opened my mouth and said, “I can not believe you, but things happen for a reason. And I’m going to take this as a good thing, but I don’t ever want to see your face again.” I got off the truck and walked away. In the distance I could hear him yelling at me, and I tried not to care. Walking away was very hard. With every step I took it got harder and harder to keep the tears from rolling down my cheeks, but this was inevitable. I walked in the house, walked straight to my room and for the first time, I cried myself to sleep.
Months have passed since I have seen him last, he probably doesn’t even remember me. I have also met the girl he was with…I am prettier. Every day I sense like I have recovered some, and I feel that as the days pass, so does the storm. I know far in the horizon there are more storms to come, but that only brings me a little closer to my well deserved rainbow.

on Oct. 6 2010 at 4:27 pm
ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

I really like this. Your emotions just spilled out and the mess is beautiful. I love how you wrote this nancy. It's sadly beautiful. :')