Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

The gap between the wealthy and the poor is larger than the Grand Canyon and gets larger everyday. Fortunately for me I was blessed with more than enough money to maintain what society would define as “The Good Life.” Never did is have to worry about when my next meal was coming or whether or not I was going to be able to stay in my house. But there are many people in this country that do have this trials and tribulations. Some do not even have a house to live in. That is why there are organizations like Habitat for Humanity that builds homes for people that are not as fortunate in their income. This was one of the first volunteer programs that I had partaken in. My church youth group all went and built houses for the organization and we built about 4 houses that day. We didn’t build the entire house but laid down the foundation for each. The next organization we worked in was Harvesters. Many people know this organization because it is one of the biggest food donation organizations in the country. There we helped separate the donated food into the different food groups and boxed them up. Both of these organizations are important in helping the community, and whenever my services are needed I will be there.