The "High School" Games: An Everyday Katniss Everdeen

As the exuberant sun rises ever higher in the morning sky, so do the levels of anxiety and uneasiness among the entire population of District 12. Although this small province of Panem is poverty-stricken and privy to the pains of famine, every citizen manages to dress in his or her best attire for this momentous occasion: welcome to the twisted highlight of death, drama, and danger that has graced every year since the revolution. Welcome to the horrifying battle royale that Katniss Everdeen has selflessly volunteered herself for. Welcome to the 57th annual Hunger Games.
While I do not live in a destitute district that answers to an oppressive Capitol, I am able to draw many parallels to the life and times of Katniss Everdeen. From the very first page of the “Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins, I knew with every fiber of my being that Katniss was a character with whom I could easily relate: the two of us can both be described as strong, emotionally reserved, and independent young women whose will to survive is a force to be reckoned with. For Katniss, the uphill battle that facilitated this remarkable drive comes in the form of a brutal “fight to the death” that she could not afford to lose. Although I will luckily never have to partake in such an appalling event, I have a realm of danger all my own that most participants never leave from unscathed or without serious injury: high school.
While Katniss’ competitors wield swords, daggers, and other weapons of mass destruction in an effort to break her down physically, the students who roam the hazardous halls of my high school have a slightly different objective: to destroy the very core of one’s emotional and mental strength. How could they accomplish such a daunting task, you ask? With arsenals stocked full of insults, stereotypes, prejudiced claims, and senseless gossip. If manipulated with enough dexterity and precision, words have the potential to do the same damage as, if not more than, the sharpest of daggers. However, like Katniss, I have learned that weapons can only inflict damage if you allow them to; in the face of enemies, adversity, and troubling times, both of us have learned to travel the path of least resistance, emotionally disconnect from our surroundings, and never give the opposition the chance to attack our vulnerability. By finding strength in physical or emotional pain, my fictional counterpart and I will always emerge from the battlegrounds as victors.

NewsJunkie said...
May 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm:

Great essay! College essays are soooooooooooo fun!!!!:):):):):):):):)

NewsJunkie said...
May 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm:

DanielM said...
May 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm:
Wow...i have no words honsetly. That was awesome. I just liked it. I have no words it was just plain awesome... Great job!!!! (:

peachybeech replied...
May 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm :
That makes me so happy! C: Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it! 

Firetip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm:

WAY. TO. GO.

Yes, this is amazing. I can agree. Honestly though, I think middle school has the better potential to be worse just because you can't really pick and choose your friends, but I guess that depends on where you go. I can really relate. I hate stereotypes. I think you did a really good job on making a short and simple point. 5/5 hands down.

peachybeech replied...
May 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm :

You have no idea how happy that made me! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that you could relate! That's always my goal. I figured that writing about something so fresh and modern was a little risky, but I'm glad to know that I somewhat pulled it off.

Thank you SO much! c:

lorybug said...
May 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm:
I must say.. this is PHENOMENAL! I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games, I read every book and watched the movie three times! You NAILED Katniss' character perfectly!!! This is the best I've seen! Wow!

Makazo said...
May 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm:
WOW!!!! This is so AMAZING! I love the hunger games, what a great idea to use katniss! 5 stars!

Brenda B. said...
May 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm:
This is honestly one of the best college essays I've seen on this site. I love it! So clever and rivoting, I would've never thought to use Kathiss as a parallel! Amazing job! [:

peachybeech replied...
May 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm :
WOW! That means so much to me, you don't understand. c: To say that it's one of the best you've seen makes me feel absolutely fabulous. Thank you so much!