What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

Money, sex, cars, and clothes; these are things that are glorified in the world today and as what matter in life. You won’t hear a fifth grade teacher telling her students that these are the things that matter in life, but television, music, and movies do a great job at it. The American Dream is about becoming wealthy so you can have whatever you want. What is the definition of wealthy though? The only true wealthy persons in the world are the ones with morals. Without them, we are heartless fiends after material possessions.

The United States of America prides itself on our compassion and willingness to help countries in duress. Aiding third world countries millions of miles away is a prime example of morality. Our conscious would not let us live with our fortunes while there are nations with their population suffering from malnutrition. We become so guilt ridden whenever seeing a picture of a person in that situation that we have to do something about it. Without our morals, many of people would be dead due to its absence and the absence of our aid. If you think that the gap between the wealthy in the U.S. is big, just imagine what it would be like if there were no such things as welfare and medicare. Slavery would still be happening since there would be nobody how would stand up and say that it is wrong. I wouldn’t even be writing this paper if it weren’t for morals, which is why it is what really matters.

wordnerd54 SILVER, Sparta, New Jersey

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

I agree 100%.  Nice job.