Life Goes On | Teen Ink

Life Goes On

January 17, 2008
By Anonymous

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
-- Robert Frost


After not making the varsity volleyball team, moving to a different state, and dealing with cancer in the family, I have come to realize that life goes on no matter what situations are thrown my way. There is no use in wasting time crying about the past when you should really only be focusing on the future.

It was my turn. I walked through the double doors, down what seemed to be a never ending hallway and entered the volleyball coach’s office. My armpits were sweating and my stomach was turning. “You are a great player, but we need you more on JV. I’m sorry.” My heart sank. I walked out of her office and tried my best to avoid all possible contact with the world. I sat in my bed that night wondering what the other girls had that I didn’t. After an hour of moping, I began to laugh. I got up, played the theme song to “The Fresh Prince of Bellaire” and danced around my room with abandon. Life goes on.

How did I get here? Will people like me? What should I wear on my first day of school? These were all thoughts running through my mind as I unpacked my last box of knick-knacks that two days ago resided in North Carolina. I was now in the flat, landlocked state of Ohio. My questions were soon answered. I was here in order to be closer to my relatives, people did like me, and I found an awesome new outfit from Limited Two to wear on the first day of school. Life goes on.

The worst thing you can hear as a child is that your mom has cancer. I was twelve when I heard it myself. My parents somehow presented this horrible news in an optimistic way. After her first chemo treatment, it was hard to ignore reality, but my mom would not let it bring us down. Instead, my mother suggested that she and I go shopping for the coolest and cutest hats in town. Life goes on.

“In three words [and three paragraphs] I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost