Twins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Wait, you two are twins?”

I usually answer with a quick “yes,” wondering if it’s really such a hard idea to grasp. There used to be a time when everyone knew who the twins were. The coordinated outfits gave us away. Then it seemed as though everyone referred to us as “the twins.”

It wasn’t easy constantly being compared to each other. I have long blond hair and blue eyes, while Chris is my polar opposite, with dark hair and brown eyes. I talk a lot and Chris mostly keeps to himself.

The day we entered junior high was the chance we had been waiting for – few people knew we were twins. Some teachers didn’t even realize until Open House. Many of the teachers told our mom, “They act like they hardly know each other.”

Chris and I began to develop different interests. I proved to be an extrovert who loved being around people; Chris had a small group of friends with whom he happily interacted. I obsessed over designer labels (I’m glad that phase is over). Chris refused to wear anything that even hinted at where it was from; any tag or label had to be removed. Although we worked together on some homework, Chris excelled in the arts while I performed much better in front of a textbook.

Many people lose their individuality being a twin. However, I feel that it has helped me discover myself. It has motivated me to be my own person and develop my own hobbies and interests because I want others to see us as different, unique people. Sometimes, I forget that my brother is actually my twin – until it’s time to blow out our birthday candles or we run into someone at the supermarket who exclaims, “Oh my gosh, are these the twins?” It’s clear that we are going to take very different directions in our lives. Chris flies by the seat of his pants, while I like to be organized.

Eleanor Roosevelt said, “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” Individuality is one of the most important principles that one should strive to achieve. Surrounded by materialistic things, the average person is tempted to look like everyone else, have the same interests, and behave in the same manner. I feel fortunate to have found my individuality early in life.

FUNNYBUNNY said...
hey im a twin eyeryhting you said is soo true :) im brown hair brown eyes and she is blonde and blue eyes and we get so many stupid questions. we are know at school as the twinnies which is so annoying even our teacher do it :( but we really are betsies even if we fight heaps

toby from zimbabwe said...
awww m inspired thank you!

BobbiMonkey said...

i like this areicle and totally agree

i'm a twin (Fraternal) and we both girls except she tall and blond i'm short and brown and is five mins older than her when were were little we look a bit the same and now and stil people are surprised that were twins

nana31 replied...
wow . datz awesome i guess .

super short 211 said...
I like this article a lot, good writing!! I see how you feel because i have a little sister that is one year younger than me and everyone ask are we twins! To me we don't look nothing alike and we have completely different personality's!!

Rosalie said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 5:44 am
I'm a twin too!
I know exactly how you feel.
We're nothing alike..
I'm a girl, he's a boy.
People ask me if I'm dating him sometimes..haha
I'm always lyk, "no, actually, we're twins."
at skwl we dont talk to each other..
but i lyk being a twin!!

starshine said...
I loved your essay I know how it feels to be compared all of the time to your siblings!

superstar said...
I loved your essay we have to write practice college essays in school and I can really relate to yours because I am a triplet!

aylamay24 said...
i dont know how it feels to have a twin because in my family i am the only girl so i dont know how it feels to have some one look just like you.

gydeme replied...
not all twins are identical, in face she specifically said she was talking about her BROTHER who was her twin...

theoc93 said...
Mar. 14, 2009 at 3:47 am
i completely agree! i have am a girl with a boy twin, but i underdstand what youre saying! sometimes i love being a twin, but then other times i seem to loose my identity as just being me, you know?
great article(:

WhiteCracker said...
Jan. 15, 2009 at 1:22 am
i disagree i have a twin and we both stand out from eachother so your not the only twin that sticks out.

leigh123456 said...
Chill buddy- everyone has different experiences in being a twin. I loved this essay and would actually agree with her statement.

RyanPKil said...
Nov. 21, 2008 at 2:19 am
Many people lose their individuality being a twin. i dont agree with you AT ALL, with that statement. i'm a twin. we look a lot alike and always get confused. i agree with many other things you say but being a twin is just like having another brother or sister. i think being a twin gives you a slight edge over everyone else. you want to be different so you find out what you both like and dont like. your statement is totally false

watermelonsugar said...
Nov. 13, 2008 at 1:14 am
I'm a twin as well, and I couldn't agree more with a lot of what you've said here. Most people confuse us or seem to forget that my sister and I are two different people entirely. It's a difficult experience in many ways because it forces me to become more myself every day. I was planning on writing my college essay on my experiences as a twin as well (:

kayla211 said...
This is really good. My sister, just 9 months 2 weeks older than i, have been asked "are you twins?" our whole lives. And we too completely became different people. I dark brown and her blonde and as i dreamed of starting my own business she dreamed of starting her own family. but i really enjoyed reading your essay. I too agree that it pushed us to be who we are today. I mean we couldn't still be wearing our overalls and pigtails forever. but it was nice reading about someone that has... (more »)

nana31 replied...
cool . <3