The Sum of Me | Teen Ink

The Sum of Me

January 18, 2012
By kel_mcquillen BRONZE, Frederick, Maryland
kel_mcquillen BRONZE, Frederick, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” – Aristotle. The intellectual, social and cultural differences embraced by the University of Maryland are integral to the fabric of our community. The strength of the University is realized through the contributions of every member of our campus. We understand each individual is a result of his/her personal background and experiences. Describe the parts that add up to the sum of you.

When I first read this prompt, I thought of the debate between Hobbes and Locke, the debate of nature vs. nurture and how each of these elements affect who a person becomes. Those who side with Nature believe that certain traits people inherit occur genetically, while those who side with Nurture believe that humans are a blank slate and everything we become is from our background, influences and experiences.

I agree with Nurture. My parents are hard workers and have taught my siblings and I to go the extra distance in order to excel at something. They expect us to earn above average grades and to try our best in sports and activities. My parents are kind and loving and I have grown up in an environment which has taught me to be forgiving and responsible when I have to take care of my younger siblings and to be grateful for the family I have. I have earned solely A’s and B’s with the exception of one C throughout my school career. I have been playing soccer for seven years on a club level, in addition to the two years I have played on my High School JV soccer team. Playing sports has taught me leadership and how to be a team player. I began my own mailbox refurbishing business in sixth grade. I got up early in the morning and began working while most of my friends were asleep. My business has taught me the values of time management, hard work, and the satisfaction of being paid for the time and effort you put into a finished product.

The expectations of my parents, the activities I participate in, and my own standard for self-achievement add up to the sum of me.

The author's comments:
I wrote this for extra practice.