Dreaming | Teen Ink

Dreaming

December 22, 2011
By Anonymous

When I was four-years-old, I had my first middle of the night spark of inspiration. It was 3:46 am when I found myself being led to the living room as if by force. I don’t remember getting the lipstick from my mother’s purse, but the memory of my hand smearing the smooth substance across the wall remains clear. It was my first mural, and I didn’t even get to finish; my parents entered the room mid-swipe. Needless to say, they weren’t impressed. I was sent to my room before having the chance to step back and admire. “Preparation Take Down” was instantly in effect. Naturally, the “Toasted Rose” Clinique stain was not the easiest to remove. But a bottle of nail polish remover and a can of paint later it disappeared like autumn leaves.
Though this first attempt was not ideal, it was just the beginning of my passion. By kindergarten I was the perfectionist who finished last. Art has been a method for me to get away from the rest of the world and feel something better. Something different. I love pushing myself to see things in a different light. I love getting caught up in the emotion and losing all sense of time. I love formulating design elements and principals and preparing to get messy. Art lets me express myself however I desire.
Sophomore year, I heard this quote by John Maxwell: “A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” These words remind me it doesn’t matter where I come from, or where I am. If I am passionate about something, I have the power to transform how it is into what I want it to be.
Being a high school student, real life experiences are not just handed out, but I have been fortunate enough to have been given numerous opportunities. I have experienced making an office a sanctuary, had the chance to make a studio a place of serenity, and have been able to make houses homes. These are what give me to courage to create.
Whether it’s an intricate, three month piece for someone in particular or a middle of the night lipstick mural, my passion will lead me in the right direction. I am ready to make things happen.


The author's comments:
This essay has been something I have thought about for a long time. It was almost easy to write since I am so passionate about what I do and have known this is what I want since I discovered Art Schools in eighth grade.