New York | Teen Ink

New York

By MadelineCarlson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
MadelineCarlson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"Don't try to tie me down, or dominate me. I'm the one who chooses how to make my mistakes."

Since I was a little girl I wanted to travel to Alaska. At one point I thought I wanted to live there. The problem with Alaska is that it’s far away. Now as I have gotten older I have decided I don’t want to live there. It’s remote; it seems there is no one living there. I want to live where people are stacked on top of each other. The first place that comes to mind is New York City. The city that never sleeps is the city I want to call home. It’s a new place. It’s has cold winters, which I love, every street is like a different world.

I want to start over. I don't want to be known as Sterling’s little sister anymore. I don’t want to be labeled. If I moved, I’d talk to new people everyday. The people would see me as a new person. They wouldn’t know my past. They would only know that I’m living very much now. The location would be away from all my loved ones. I think that’s for the best though for me and for them. I want to forget them, but not entirely. I want to be free with arms spread wide.

Freedom is when I run into a cold place and embrace it. I love that about snow. I’d rather be freezing cold then boiling hot. When I’m cold it’s like I prove to myself I can bite my teeth and survive. When it’s cold it’s risky you could trip and fall on your face by walking on ice. My other option is I could slide straight across without any problems. That is how life is. There is probably enough people to heat up the town, or should I say the many different towns in one city?

China town is in New York city. New York has all these streets with all sorts of cultures. I personally want to travel when I get the chance. If I made my hometown a place with a variety of cultures I think that would work in my favor. The New England feel has always inspired me. I love dreaming of the cold wind coming off of the waves. It smells like it just rained, and hot dogs from the vendors off the street. Every street corner is a place where I can grow and leave a piece of me.

The new location scares me. It’s far away but I've decided I want to be scared for once. I want to be cold and feel the ocean. I want to smell hot dogs off the street. That may seem crazy to say. I want to forget my name, and create a new one for myself. Ever since I was little I thought living in the wilderness would be nice, like in Alaska. I’ve changed my mind since then, and have decided that the city lights are better then a standing tree. New York: the city that never sleeps. This will be the city I never sleep in, but it will be the city I breath in.