State Fair | Teen Ink

State Fair

January 3, 2012
By Anonymous

Up and down the tunnel, weaving through the crowd before the product heats up. With four stands and people packed between each, there has to be a faster way. Chris texts, “‘A’ needs cheesecake.”

Good thing I’m at ‘C’ and can steal some from there. When I arrive, I see they’re at a quarter ‘nanas. I text Mike, “‘A’ has quarter ‘nanas.”

On my way down Mara asks, “Can you bring a case of cheesecake when you come back up?”

“How’re you on ‘nanas?”

She checks. “About half.”

“Then you’re getting some too.”

On a busy day like Saturday, ‘B’ will go through those bananas in no time. I take the long trip though the tunnel, happy for the gusts blowing through. When I get to the trailer, I knock on the door and Mike pops out with a bucket. “Here’s ‘A’s bananas.”

I tell him, “‘B’ needs half a tub and wants cheesecake.”

“Well if Mara asks for anything, you better give it to her.”

He starts counting ‘nanas while I load the dolly with cakes and ‘nanas. When he’s finished I tell him, “I’m off.”

I arrive at ‘B’ with a line in front of it. I shove ‘C’s new cakes in the back freezer while I’m waiting for a chance to give Mara or Andy their stock between customers, not wanting the product to get soft. I’ll return ‘C’s cakes on my walk back down. As I deliver ‘A’s bananas, I receive another text, this time from Allison, “I want my cake back now.”

After a small rest and a quick drink I’m off through the crowd once more.