Howling My Name | Teen Ink

Howling My Name

By Rachel Robbins BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Rachel Robbins BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

One hundred twenty two. One hundred twenty three. One hundred twenty four. The curser continues blinking as I stare like a zombie at the blank screen. WHAM! The idea finally explodes in my head like an unapproved science experiment in the Chemistry room. Fingers flying, I type the slogan before it has a chance to escape my easily distracted mind.

“You wouldn’t kill your dog. So why kill their cousin?”

I sit back and admire my work. After hours pondering my thoughts, I completed the design. As I stare at the screen, I wonder if I really want to do this. Do I really want to risk becoming the weird girl again? Destroying my name? I can see the disaster now, as if Hurricane Katrina was nearing Wisconsin. Then I stop and the little voice in my head yells, “Since when do you care what other people think of you?!?” The little voice was right.

The next day I arrive at school, not sure where to even start this process. I lumber over to my friends and ask the question. “Would you guys want to buy a shirt?” What am I doing? Then, because of some unwritten friend code, they exclaim excitedly, “Yeah!” “How much?” I cringe. “Sixteen dollars” ... I hear myself say and try to justify. They sign the sheet anyway. I already had five down.

Throughout the day, the question got easier. The rejections were frequent and awkward, but ever name I got after made me keep going. The week flew on. The list got longer. The money stack got taller. I was doing this. The more I sold, the happier I became.

Friday comes. I sit at the computer and bellow for my mother downstairs, more so my mother’s credit card. She reluctantly walks in, eyes still questioning. But there was no changing my mind. I wanted this, to do this, and I was going to make it happen. The submit button was hit. They were coming.

The shirts finally came. They were a sky blue color with black words on the front and the face of a wolf on the back with more black words. I loved them and was overcome with a feeling of pride. I walked into school Monday with my shirt on and saw many others had worn it too. I understood this would give people more reasons to add to the list of weird things under my name. More reasons not to like me. More reasons to taunt. I didn’t care because that is part of the job of your name. To lead a long list of things, that together, make up your ‘reputation.’ I didn’t care. I stopped caring what others thought freshman year because who are they to make fun of someone who is not afraid to stand up for what they believe in? I didn’t care.

In my sschool, my name may bring different reactions. The weird girl. A best friends. A good student. But in that moment, the most common was probably the girl who sold the crazy shirts. Yet, I smile at that. Because I knew that if the wolves that my donation saved could know the name of their guardian, it’d be looked up too. Because that name, Rachel, took a chance and saved lives.