As you think about the next four years, what are you looking forward to tha | Teen Ink

As you think about the next four years, what are you looking forward to tha

November 27, 2011
By Anonymous

I’ve been through a lot of challenges in my life. Most of the challenges I faced, I faced as a small girl in elementary and middle school. But those challenges didn’t leave any scars. The day before I was supposed to start high school, a horrible event occurred that rattled my family’s lives and mine completely. But I still urged myself to go to school and seem perfectly normal.
My grades started out okay. They weren’t horrible, but they weren’t that great either. I couldn’t concentrate on anything. How could I? I couldn’t stop thinking about that horrible event. After a while, I got my mind on track. I started to work a little harder in school. A month later, that same event occurred again… but much worse. I stopped caring about everything: my family, my grades, and myself. My grades were slipping. My GPA was dropping. But I still didn’t care.
About 6-7 months later, my family confronted me about my grades. They were angry that I had let myself slip. I was angry with myself. How could I’ve let my grades drop so much? I know I could’ve done better. After my family made me realize my mistake, I worked harder that rest of the year and brought my grades up.
When I attend college for the next 4 years, I hope to surprise my parents with my hard work and determination in the classroom and out. I want them to be proud of me. I want to be proud of myself. I want to surprise my parents and let them know that nothing can bring me down now. After my difficult start to high school, I realized what I was ruining. Over the next 2 years of high school, I worked hard and raised my GPA. In college, I hope to surprise my parents by working hard the very first year I start my college year and till the very end.


The author's comments:
I hope the college will get to know who I actually am.