A True Inspiration | Teen Ink

A True Inspiration

November 25, 2011
By dorothyqian BRONZE, Walnut, California
dorothyqian BRONZE, Walnut, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others. -Audrey Hepburn.


It was just another usual day in my 4th period class when I came across a passage about a certain woman named Julia Butterfly Hill. The caption did catch my attention as it read – ‘WOMAN LIVING IN CALIFORNIA REDWOOD TREE FOR 738 DAYS.’ I wondered what kind of courageous woman would isolate herself from society for two long years. I then began reading the article and found that her achievements were really quite appalling. In fact, she sounded a little just like myself – when she was 16 years old, she did not know what she wanted to do with herself until a tragic car accident caused her to grasp onto her life, which marked the beginning of her aspiration to dedicate her life to save the environment. Now she is known as an environmental activist and motivational speaker best noted for her contribution to rescuing the last California redwood tree named Luna. Ms. Hill is still my biggest inspiration as she has taught me through her actions to save Luna the value of real compassion and true leadership. Her motivation and attitude about life is the kind of resemblance I see in myself. Hill also quoted once that “I wake up in the morning asking myself what can I do today, how can I help the world today. I believe in what I do beyond a shadow of a doubt.” Like Julia Butterfly Hill’s success in saving Luna, I want to become the woman who can make the world a better place every single day.