What is Your Something? | Teen Ink

What is Your Something?

November 14, 2011
By patkeen42 BRONZE, Wappingers Falls, New York
patkeen42 BRONZE, Wappingers Falls, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

According to Henry David Thoreau, 'One is not born into the world to do everything, but to do something.' What is your something?


“The light of a single star tinges the mountains of many regions.” This Chinese proverb exemplifies what I find to be the most indispensable advice for somebody trying to make a difference in the world, as well as for myself as I pursue my numerous goals in life. While I understand that I am only one person and cannot solve every problem in our world, I know that taking even minor steps can make a difference in the community and over time, evolve into something much greater.

Throughout my education, I have found that what truly brings me joy is applying what I have learned to help other people. Through the LaGrange soccer program I have been able to take the skills and understanding of soccer which I have gathered over nine years of playing and six years of refereeing, and use them to coach mentally disabled children who are trying to learn the game and improve their technique.

As a future engineer I look forward to creating and improving our infrastructure in order to enhance the lives of others. Whether it’s accessing clean water sources, constructing schools and medical centers, or building physical or cultural bridges, I believe the progression and evolution of humanity should be the number one priority for future engineers. If possible, I would not stop until every nation and culture could experience the same engineering and technological advancements that the United States experiences. It is through these experiences and life goals that I have discovered one of my greatest attributes to be my motivation and determination to do something of value with my life and truly make an impact in the world.

The author's comments:
This essay is dedicated to Razvan.