Breaking the Ice | Teen Ink

Breaking the Ice

Incidents of seeing extraterrestrial beings have been reported all over the world. People in every corner of the world have claimed to witness some sort of otherworldly type creature or it’s means of transportation. Some say they saw unidentified flying objects passing by in the night sky. Others might even say they saw an oddly shaped figure off in the distance. All these visits to Earth seem to me like they might be a little curious.

With that being said, the idea of any kind of slightly intelligent competition the human race may have frightens many of those who believe in life on other planets. The media has played a major role in the spreading of this fear. Movies have been made countless time where aliens invade, abduct, and even eat humans. Many of these filmed productions mostly consist of more of the abductions than of the eating. However, has anyone once considered that film directors exaggerate small details to sell a movie so the director can actually make money, and there is a chance extraterrestrials aren‘t as harmful as they may seem?

That’s when I come to think, if there does happen to be any sort of life on another planet, that doesn’t exactly mean that we should fear them because we are unsure of their intelligence level and motives. There could be, which I am not saying is necessarily true, scientific curiosity sparked within their interest of us and in the past have acted upon this for research purposes. Scientists of the human race have researched on many things such as animals, plants and even other human beings all in the name of science. Research and/or, what people may call today, “abductions” are just scientific processes that extraterrestrials and humans both participate in. So why fear the beings of another planet for things other human beings do as well?

Now for the big question, should humans attempt to make contact with intelligent beings of another planet? Going based off my last paragraph, it would be a wise decision scientific wise. There are many theories of aliens contributing their knowledge to ancient Egyptians and other ancient tribes, or groups of people. If we were to make any sort of contact with these strangers, we could gain all sorts of knowledge and information. We could learn of the knowledge they supposedly gave to our ancestors and has gotten lost throughout time. It almost sounds like we are crazy for not already making contact.

I am, hopefully, going to be submitting this essay to numerous colleges and I would like this essay to be as close to perfect as possible. If it can be bettered in ANY way, please let me know.