Insight Into Me | Teen Ink

Insight Into Me

By meh10 SILVER, Wappingers Falls, New York
meh10 SILVER, Wappingers Falls, New York

"The will to win isn't important. Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

So, you’re applying to Brown. Everything must come easily to you, right?

Wrong. Over the years, I have found several things I am passionate about and in which I am successful, but not one of these came easily to me. I stayed for extra time after track practice to get my hurdle time just a split second faster, I juggled a soccer ball in my backyard until I could do 50 in a row, I played my viola for two and a half hours the night after a six hour Area All-State Orchestra rehearsal because I was not satisfied with how the music sounded, and I put in an extra hour making myself a study guide for a Calculus test.

In school, I have earned every single one of my grades. I have never settled for copied or halfhearted work like many of my peers have, and I have constantly worked my hardest. I crave knowledge. I know that doing my own work to the best of my abilities every day will allow me to gain as much as possible, and I am willing to put in the necessary effort to achieve my goals.
Similarly, I thrive on the athletic field. Sports give me the opportunity to be challenged, to compete, to learn, and to improve. This process is thrilling to me; there is nothing I like more than seeing my 100-meter hurdle time go down by even a tenth of a second after a hard week of practicing. Hard work pays off, and this is extremely apparent in sports. I have gone the extra mile, so to speak, to bring my game up and my times down.

Both academically and athletically, I want to earn my place at the top. I do not want to have it handed to me, and I do not want to take the easy way out. I want to be the best, but I want to earn it and I want to be happy. I want to always have time available for being with friends and trying new things. I want to revel in competition and improve as much as I can, but more than anything I want to enjoy what I do. Nothing has come easily to me, but through hard work and dedication I have been able to achieve many things.

The prompt for this essay was to create a question which would provide the most insight into us and answer it. I feel that this is a common misconception about successful people and I wanted to set it right.