Who Am I? | Teen Ink

Who Am I?

November 1, 2011
By Anonymous

The universal question “who am I?” comes up in every college application I’ve come across. The counselors tell me they want to know who I am, beyond my not so excellent grades and my less than spectacular SAT scores. There is not some heart throbbing story on why I didn’t do as well as I could have done. I was capable of the work and I’ve always been very intelligent, I just never knew where I was going in life. I wasn’t entirely sure of what my goals were until I sat down and looked inside myself, to find where the in my life is leading me.

I have changed so much in these last two years of high school. In the beginning years of high school, I didn’t care about school. I didn’t think it was important but as I look back now, I was foolish. I wish I knew that if I worked hard back then, I wouldn’t have to prove that I was worthy of going to an excellent institution like one of your statures. I’m not going to sit here and lie and say that I tried because I didn’t for the first two years of high school. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do the work; it wasn’t because I didn’t know what we were learning. I knew everything that we were doing; I did well on tests, quizzes, midterms, and finals. I don’t even remember why I didn’t do homework, I just didn’t.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that grades are important; they tell institutions what kind of student that you are and what kind of benefit you will be for their school. Well, my grades and my extracurricular activities, don’t vouch for me that much. My grades reflect who I used to be, before I realized what I want to do with my life. This year, senior year is my year to change everything around. I’ve tried harder than ever before, I’ve joined yearbook club, and I’ve volunteered at tons of different places and will continue to volunteer in my spare time. I work two jobs and still have time for my school work and to help my family whenever they need it. I can do it and I’m proving it.

Everything I’ve ever done before haunts me now because I know I didn’t do what I was capable of doing. I know that all work I’ve ever done could have been better and I want to be able to receive the higher education everyone deserves, at your university. I know I can prove myself of being worthy enough to go to your school and do college level work at a college level pace, participate in clubs and school activities. I just hope you believe in me enough to let me prove to you that I can be an all-around wonderful student at your institution.


The author's comments:
This is my college essay, I want to send to UCONN and Salve Regina. Tell me what you think."