keeping promise | Teen Ink

keeping promise

October 29, 2011
By chhorn pho BRONZE, Lexington, North Carolina
chhorn pho BRONZE, Lexington, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I stood there frozen in time, my expressions became numb, my throat felt tight and knotted, my eyes watered, my lips trembles, I bit my teeth to keep my self from bursting out in tears as I watched fathers and daughters embraced each other. You could only imagined what it was like for a 6 years old to longed for a father’s touch. It was after dance practice that parents came to pick up their children.
My mom and dad divorced when I was only 5 years old. My mom was still pregnant with my little brother then. It was devastating for us all. My mom was so upset, everyday she cried in disbelief, hoping that everything was just a nightmare. Seeing her in this state, broke my heart. From that day on, I promised myself that I would grow up to be righteous and prosperous so that she would never have to grief ever again.
Growing up without a father figure was rough. However, I tried my best in every situations to be strong. So, when we moved from Cambodia to United States, Minnesota to live with our step dad, I bit my tongue and watch. It was sweet at first, my step dad would take the family to picnics and restaurants, but then after a while he got too comfortable and started to drink and smokes in the house, complain and argue with my mom everyday. Every day's a misery. Sometime when the argue reaches its peak, he would order us out of the house, saying things like ‘if you don’t like living with me like this, then get out!’. But every time we packed our stuff and ready to leave, he would begged us to stay, he would even goes as far as crying to keep us. Four years! four years, he kept us tied. Finally, one day my mom and I sat down to talk about it, we decided that it was enough, we’ve had enough, nobody ever should have to put with somebody like this; therefore, the next week after, we gather our belonging and moved out. We made sure we are far far away from him. We moved to North Carolina, half the U.S across.
In stead of feeling ashamed of this traumatic experience, I embraced it. Considered it a test, a challenge to determine my patience, and perseverance. Even in tough times, I managed to divide between family and education. I maneuver through to keep my promise, to not let my mom down, to strive for success. With my distinguished education records, community services and programs as proof, I have not yet fail to keep my promise.