College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

October 1, 2011
By Anonymous

It is 6:00 P.M. in the afternoon after school, I am in my room studying when the next thing I know I am interrupted from an array of vibrations on my desk. The concentration from my work is switched from the screen of my phone of my father calling. I answer with a “hello” and my dad abruptly asks, “What are you doing?” I respond that I am busy doing schoolwork. Then, again, my dad’s monotonous lines are overplayed like an obnoxious song stuck on repeat. These phrases consist of him repeating, “Good job, study your hardest, these are the most important years of your life, spend it wisely, if you work hard now all the fun will come later, and it will be worth it.”
His persistence has made me the ambitious person I am today. Without him, I would not be able to cope with all the difficult situations I have stumbled across in my life and with his guidance; I am now able to solemnly get through/ convey a hard task by pushing myself to be a strong person. I cannot recall a time when I have given up, whether I ran two miles straight under fifteen minutes to try out for my high school soccer team or studying eight hours straight for my hardest class and final of the year, Biology. Both rewarded me: I ended up making the freshman soccer team and I got a B on my final.
In order to accomplish my dreams and aspirations for the future, I have worked my hardest to my best potential. Even though I’m not a straight A student and do not have a majority of AP classes in my schedule, that doesn’t matter. What matter’s is I have abided each and every day to get to the place I’ve strived for, college. Currently during my senior year, I have challenged myself to take AP English and AP Psychology to prepare myself for college level classes in the future. The decision was arduous, however it was my choice and I knew I wouldn’t be dwelling on my father’s support for much longer. Knowing the preconceived level of difficulty, I inquired a commitment independently of an unknown path to challenge myself.
College is where I will continue to work hard in succeeding my dream to be a psychiatrist. Just like the bumps in the road I’ve had in my life, I want to give therapy to people who are diagnosed with mental disorders by assisting them through there issues. I know the journey will be hard and long, but it will be like an old dirt path. I will work hard to build concrete over all the ditches, thuds and pebbles that stand in my way so I can make my way through it, and in the end, it will all be worth it.


The author's comments:
Prompt:Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.