the person everyone wants me to be | Teen Ink

the person everyone wants me to be

September 6, 2011
By lxbanos BRONZE, Austin, Texas
lxbanos BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My worst fear is that I will become exactly the person everyone wants me to be. The person who always does everything right. Who always does their best to never upsets anybody. I cringe at the notion of having a nine to five job. I despise the thought of getting married young and settling down at a relatively early age. I don't want to make a difference in the world. I don't want to be my father.

I don't want to major in a degree. And I'd never want to spend Saturdays and Sundays mowing the lawn and doing house work. It would be such a hassle to raise a household of four disobedient children. I'd rather enjoy a basketball game with my friends, not my family. And under no circumstances would I give up my tickets to the big game so my kids could go instead of me. And do I have to go to my eight year olds baseball game? I loath having to always take the "high road" and be "the bigger man." I don't want to be my father.

I object to having the same job for twenty-five years because I hate job security. My father has never a gotten a "B" on a report card in his life, I have already failed that task, but it's okay because I don't want to strive for excellence. I disapprove of suburban life and watching my son play Varsity football on Friday nights.

What you have just read was a complete and utter lie. Because the truth is I do want all of these things. I want to go to college, and I want to make perfect grades. I thirst for knowledge to be gained while in college. I want to have nice family that I can raise. I want to be at every single one of my sons baseball games. And I always want people to happy when they see me. I want to be like my father.

Truth is I love my father, and he is the most significant figure in my life. For all the right reasons to, he has never steered me wrong, not once. Honestly, I am not exactly like my father, and I never will be. Soon I will have to lead my own life, make my own decisions, and start my very own family.

I still have to strive to be my own separate, independent person, and not exactly like my father. But that doesn't mean I couldn't learn a lot of things from my father.


The author's comments:
this is my college admissions essay for the University of Texas at Austin