Personal Statement | Teen Ink

Personal Statement

When I first walked onto northens campus I immediately knew that this is where I belonged. I knew from the beginning that this was the school for me because I feel like I am so different then everybody else. What distinguishes me form the rest of my peers is the many obstacles that I have overcome. What has honestly made me who I am today is when my friend Nick died. He always told me “Chrissy, stop being afraid to take risks.” Going away to school was always in the back of my head so when I thought about Nick I thought to myself that I would be silly if I didn’t. What also made me make up my mind about school was when my older sister dropped out of high school at the age of 16 years old. Me being four years younger I know that I just wanted to make my mom happy. As I grew older I was son to find out I was living my life for three people, not just for myself.
Nick was the most important person in my life at the time when he passed. When he died it made me realize how short life really is. Because he died so young he became my motivation. I live my life for me and Nick. He was going to moraine valley at the time when he passed. He had a strong head on his shoulders, so I can only hope that I can have a strong head also, if not stronger. When he told me to stop being afraid to take risks, everything suddenly hit me that I am growing up and that I am going into the real world so why not take opportunities that will only benefit me in the end. My older sister Tarrah also motivates me to get things done. She dropped out of high school so young. Because she is such a failure now at 23 and now it’s my time to go to college. I want to give my mom something to be proud of. I don’t want her to feel like she raised her kids the wrong way or that we will give up on just anything that we try. I know that my mom is holding me up to such high standards but doesn’t want to tell me because she doesn’t want stress put on me. I am trying my hardest to make my mom and Nick proud.
I know that this is the school for me for many reasons. I’ve learned so much about myself within the past couple of years. I found out that I am strong physically and mentally. The obstacles in my life have not stopped me from pursuing my life, but have made me a stronger person. I know that anything that is thrown at me, I could handle. Anything I put my mind to, I can do it.
What makes me standout from the rest of my peers is my motivation to get things done. I would make a perfect fit to Northern because there are very few people left that actually want to learn and that will not give up for no circumstances.