Personal Statement | Teen Ink

Personal Statement

By Mellas SILVER, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Mellas SILVER, Oak Lawn, Illinois

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life." My mom taught me not only the definition of happiness but how to truly be happy. Throughout my life I’ve always depended 100% on her. She’s the only person that has never turned her back on me. Without my mother I would not be the person I am today. She has taught me to be an intelligent, responsible, independent person. My life has had its fair share of ups and downs but through everything my mom has been there for me which helped me get through the bad and made me see the good in everything.

When I was eleven years old my Aunt Jen passed away unexpectedly which forced my family to make complete changes that we were not used to. My Aunt Jen at the time had a four year old daughter named Alyssa who we ended up legally adopting. This was a huge adjustment; I was always used to having one brother and one sister but now when this had happened I had to adjust to having three siblings instead. Everyone was torn at the time but my mom stayed strong for all of us she showed us that even when something bad happens we cannot just give up, you need to keep going whether we like it or not. I remember my mom asking my family “would you guys understand if I were to step up and take Alyssa in as one of our own?” of course we said “we don’t mind at all she deserves to live in a stable environment with people that will be there for her”. This tragic event is important because it showed all of us that anyone can be here today and gone tomorrow so we should appreciate every moment we have with the people we care about. My mom stepped up at a time when no one else would and I admired her for it. She’s such a good person which only influences me positively.

One of the many things that make my life enjoyable is cheerleading, I’m truly happy when I cheer and my mom is always at every competition which makes it all the more enjoyable to know someone who cares about me is there supporting me. For eleven years of my life I was a cheerleader. It is what I enjoy to do most. I am a very good cheerleader so anytime I cheer I feel good about myself. Nine of the years that I was in cheerleading my mom coached me which was amazing. She taught me everything I know about cheering, to always strive for perfection, and supported me the whole time. Also, her being at every practice, game, and competition made our bond so much stronger. Before every competition my mom would give us a speech something along the lines of “you guys all look great and I know that your all going to do amazing, you have four minutes to show everyone what we have practiced and put all our time into for the past 5 months, let’s make it worth it!” and then we would always do our chant “g-o-o-d l-u-c-k good luck outlaws today is your day”. The nine years my mom was my coach she taught me so much not just about cheering but how to be a responsible individual. I strived for perfection because I knew that she was right there watching me the whole time. To have my mom’s support means the world to me. My mom has inspired me so much I would never change anything she has said or done for me because it brought us to where we are today. My mom became my best friend over the years and she is the only person that I completely trust.

In the end, life is full of memorable and not so memorable events that mold us into the people we are at this very moment. I look up to my mom so much. Everything that I know in life I’ve learned from her. She has never left my side and I know she fully supports every decision I have made thus far. I am so much more confident knowing that she will always be by my side. The wisest thing my mom has ever told me was “most likely when you depend on someone it will lead to disappointment” which taught me to be an independent person. A lot of people depend on people to do everything for them to where I depend on no one but myself. Everything that has happened in my life has formed me into the person I am today. I understand that everyone goes through something that changes their life dramatically and I feel like the worst thing which was losing my Aunt and the best thing which was cheering have made me understand that no one is perfect, mistakes happen, and life goes on. I have my own perspective on things because of everything that has happened in my life.

This is my Personal Statement about some of the qualities i have.