Inception - How it All Began | Teen Ink

Inception - How it All Began

By JessicaH BRONZE, San Mateo, California
JessicaH BRONZE, San Mateo, California

The film had already begun when we entered the theatre. The lights were off, forcing my friends and me to grope blindly for the nearest available seats. I saw the waves sweep across the screen as Leonardo DiCaprio washed up on the sandy beach. We hadn't planned on seeing Inception, it was little more than a spur of the moment decision. I settled myself down in a seat next to my friends, unsure of what to expect. The next two and a half hours changed my life forever.

I was mesmerized by the way Christopher Nolan wove such a complex plot to plant an idea into the unsuspecting mind of the victim. And in my own mind, an idea had been planted. Nolan awoke within me the desire to follow in his footsteps and become a cinematographer. I wanted to produce movies that touch people, that capture emotion and convey them through the film and into the hearts of others.

From that moment on, I knew without a doubt I had found my greatest passion, and I indulged in it like a child would indulge in candy. I became a part of the MCTV news group, working with Millbrae Community Television to shoot, edit, and eventually broadcast the local news stories. I also joined an Art of Video class, a week-long course of 5 hours per class. Despite the length of each class, I was surprised at how quickly those hours came to pass. I loved being able to apply what the teacher had taught into my video production.

I finally received a camera from my parents last Christmas, and it quickly became my constant companion. I brought it everywhere- school, mall, home, jumping at every opportunity to put my talents to use. The thrill I felt while doing a school video project or creating the scenes of a music video in my head- there was no comparison. The feeling of watching a completed video on YouTube rivaled the pride and compassion of a mother watching her child set out into the world. I promised myself I would do whatever it took to achieve my dream.