The Dreaded Day | Teen Ink

The Dreaded Day

It was hard to accept, but the dreaded day had finally arrived. I still remember the tears welling up in my six-year-old sister’s eyes as she looked around the empty closet in wonder. The space once filled with his clothes was now only filled with loneliness and sorrow. This wonderful little child had come to the realization that her father was gone. He had left us, and there was simply no way to reverse it.

Being the oldest of four girls has never been an easy task, but with the departure of a father from our lives, our world and dreams were shattered beyond repair. My mother, the most amazingly whole-hearted person in the world, has worked harder than anybody should ever have to; simply to mend our broken household. However, long hours at work tend to hold her back from always being there in times of need. It is for this reason that I have held to step us as the temporary care-taker of my three small sisters. Many might write about their high leadership positions in their schools and communities; however, I feel that the greatest accomplishment I have ever made is the leadership role I play within my own family.

Senior year in high school is not simple for many, especially when it feels like the entire world is resting on only your shoulders. That is how I have felt for the past two years. I have been continuously striving to fulfill the dream that my mother holds for my future, all in the hopes of making her proud to call me her daughter. My mother was not able to complete her college education, and the success of her children is her highest priority.

Being a leader is defined as one who has influence on others. I hope that my influence affects the lives of my sisters and everyone around me. In dedicating myself to school and family, I have set goals for myself that I will do anything to accomplish. I am an extremely determined individual, and Radford University will help me take the next step in climbing the ladder of success.