Ambitions | Teen Ink

Ambitions

June 1, 2011
By BritneyTollefson GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
BritneyTollefson GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try, it just means you should try harder."


I have had my experience of good, as well as not so good teachers. I was inspired to comply with my dream in the situation of both aspects. As a blonde pig-tailed girl with thousands of freckles I wasn’t sure who I wanted to be; I only knew I wanted to help people, make a difference in the world and most of all write and read. From the age of six leading up to my current age, I have had at the least fifty notebooks filled with stories, poetry and words. I have thought of all the things I could possibly pursue to fulfill all of my goals in one occupation. At one time in my life I thought I wanted to be a psychologist, but in taking a Creative Writing class my junior year my plans changed. I was given the opportunity to experience others emotions as well as dig deeper into mine. E.M. Forster once said “What is wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it towards the condition of the man who wrote.” In reading his quote I could not possibly agree more. I was astonished by the way it made me feel and there's nothing that could replace that emotion. Poetry has always drawn my attention as does a drop of ink on a plain white sheet of paper. I witnessed my mother and father fail over and over again. My mother has lived with an abusive husband her for fifteen years of her life because she does not believe she can support four children on her own. She conveys that she is unhappy and may her fragile tears be her proof, but she does not have the audacity to leave. My father drinks a twenty-four pack of beer every day, possibly hoping to drink his pain away and repress the memories that haunt him. He lives a hundred miles away with a girlfriend that pays the bills and I very solemnly see him. In seeing them fail and depend on other people, I contemplated on what to do with my life and strived endlessly to do better for myself. I sought to face my problems with my inner strength rather than relying on a substance or another human being and writing let me do that. I was determined as a child to be something and do something grand with my life that could help others at the same time. That determination has followed me to this day and I have to thank my parents for the strength and motivation they have given me to be independent. There's nothing more I rather do than to write and read people's stories and emotions through words.


The author's comments:
This was before the critique of my teacher.