Alcohol Abuse | Teen Ink

Alcohol Abuse

By dianaa BRONZE, Lawndale, California
dianaa BRONZE, Lawndale, California

Alcohol abuse is common within our society. Alcohol abuse can destroy many peoples’ lives. Many people become alcoholics because of problems and turn to alcohol thinking it will make them forget their problems. Alcohol can cause many accidents and take innocent peoples’ lives away. Alcohol abuse has become a problem in our society and needs to change.

Many people become alcoholics due to their problems. Helpguide.org, states that “[d]rinking problems are due to many interconnected factors, including genetics, how you were raised, your social environment, and your emotional health” (Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse). Most alcoholics drink because they have problems and feel that by drinking they can relax and forget about their problems; the truth is that alcohol may cause more problems. According to Helpguide.org, “Alcoholics and alcohol abusers are much more likely to get divorced, have problems with domestic violence, struggle with unemployment, and live in poverty.” (Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse). Some alcohol abusers get divorced because husbands/wives get tired of seeing their spouses drunk all the time and it just causes additional problems in their marriage. It can also result in domestic violence; people suffer abuse by alcoholics each day, because when someone is drunk, he/she may cause intentional and unintentional injuries. There have been cases where men attack their wives and children causing them to leave their homes, and the alcoholic is left alone to drown in his misery.

Alcohol abuse has also become a problem with our youth. According to About-alcohol-abuse.com, “American youth who drinking before the of age 15 are four times more likely to become alcoholics.” Teenagers start drinking because they see friends drinking, with just one drink there is almost a guarantee they will drink again and it might become a habit. About-Alcohol-Abuse.com states that “Every day in the U.S. more than 13,000 children and teens take their first drink.” If teens take their first drink at a party or at home, they are no longer ignorant to what they are doing and what the consequences may be.

Another problem alcohol abuse has caused is the death of innocent people. About-Alcohol-Abuse.com said that “In the United States during 2004, 16,694 deaths occurred as a result of alcohol-related motor-vehicle crashes.” Most irresponsible people that get behind the wheel of a car while being drunk don’t consider the chances of an accident; when someone is drunk, they react slowly and have blurry vision and therefore can cause accidents. There was an accident where my dad’s friend, a drunk driver, stopped to ask directions to where he could catch the 405 freeway and had his young daughter strapped in the back seat. She looked terrified at how her daddy looked. My dad tried his best to talk him out of driving intoxicated, but he could not change a drunk’s opinion, so they drove off. The man caused an accident where his daughter faced the consequences she died.

All in all, alcohol abuse is a big problem we face every day. Many people face it through thephysical violence inflicted by alcoholics. Alcohol abuse has also struck the teen generations. One of the major problems with in alcohol abuse is that it has taken the lives of many innocent peoples weather it’s on in the road or somewhere else. We need a change a solution to alcoholic abuse problems.

Works Cited
“About alcohol abuse.” Integrity Business Systems and Solutions. 4 May 2011 http://www.about-alcohol-abuse.com/
“Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.” Melinda Smith, M.A.; Lawrence Robinson, and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. contributed to this article. Last reviewed: November 2010 http://helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_signs_effects_treatment.htm#authors
“Drug Facts.” National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign. 4 May. 2011 http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/facts/drugsalcohol

FordInez said...
That's understandable that cash makes people free. But what to do if someone has no cash? The only one way is to get the loan and bank loan.

JONIDejesus said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 11:06 am
That's good that we can get the credit loans moreover, this opens completely new possibilities.