Who Am I? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I like reading The Economist and watching "I love the 80s." I like tennis, Fazoli's breadsticks and writing assignments. I value honesty, commitment, scholarship and kindness. These are hard and true facts, but there is a lot I do not know about myself. I don't know how I feel about the death penalty, I have mixed feelings about religion, and I don't know what I think about a cashless society. I have no stock answer to offer about a life-changing experience or a moment of enlightenment, and it is hard for me to give a comprehensive proclamation of who I am, for my identity unfolds more every day as my experiences grow. Since I am only 17 years old, life has a lot of unfolding to do.

I dislike saying "I am trying to find myself" because my identity is not lost, it just needs more uncovering. Luckily for me, what I love to do and want to be helps me uncover more about myself. I want to be a writer. I may not end up a professional writer but I will always write, even if I am the only one interested in my work, because writing is my self-reflection.

When writing, I sometimes get worked up into such a fervor that I barely know what I am saying. I just let my fingers fly over the keyboard and the ideas pour from my head. When I go back through the jumble of unpunctuated ideas, I notice a theme running through the writing. I don't try to put a moral in the theme, but invariably it happens. Evaluating the theme and the rest of the writing helps me interpret my own character and decipher my at times bottled-up feelings. In opinion essays, my values show. In stories, the fictional characters express my beliefs.

Every day my experience and knowledge increase, and I learn more about myself. Each time I write what is in my head as honestly as I can, another piece of the identity puzzle is revealed. Mostly, I like what is unearthed (though this varies depending on how "teenage girl-ish" I'm feeling). I am not worried that I don't know everything about myself. As I get older, I'll figure it out.

daismd said...
It vas quite interesting, I enjoyed your creativity

feloniousp said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 11:25 am:
Fantastic essay. very well written. I wish I had such creative writing ability.

Justinpower said...

man! austinpower stold my comment. well, that is what i wanted to say also. that little perverted motherf.... anyway, i actually got some ideas of yours into my essay. ;)

JK.

Austinpower said...
you did an awesome job there! I am also writing an essay. You gave me a lot of ideas how to start my essay! Thanks! by the way, I did not copy your work.

Griffinwing said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:21 am:
Oh yes. I like that

Annieee said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 1:09 am:
Yepp, pretttty much took the words right out of my mouth :)

Chelsea D. said...
May 26, 2010 at 6:47 pm:
what was the topic for this essay? like what was the prompt?

~Wolf-Woman~ said...
May 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm:
ha..I wrote something exactly like your essay. Its probably due to the fact that we all seem to get a little lost in our lives some time or another. Currently I'm in the same predicament as you. I'm not trying to find myself, I'm also trying to uncover more of who I really am. I hope you eventually figure it out. :)

fiercewriter2010 said...
May 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm:
This is great! It really makes you think, don't it?

CookiesAndCream said...
It's boring. It's cliche. Just being honest

Libby replied...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:47 am :

Point taken, perhaps discovering one's self is 'cliche'. But cliches exist because they are true. And this essay is written in an inspiring tone and is different to other things I've read--so it can't be all that cliche. 

I really liked it :)

CookiesAndCram replied...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm :

I like that you like it, and that many others like it.

Excuse my cynical tone, I guess that was just the stressed me looking for a college essay topic (;

I hope this essay helped the author

Oliver S. replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm :
I like the essay too, but I also feel that at the same time that I've heard this before.

justthtblondie said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 6:56 pm:
I love this! It is amazing, and I feel the same way about writing

monkeygirl14 said...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm:
This is very well written. I totally understand where you are coming from becaus I myself am still uncovering my identity. I am 14 and still as they say finding myself through my writing and day to day life.

alice123 said...
Jan. 23, 2010 at 2:50 am:
ya..i like her writing style.i myself felt like that.i wanted to know everything in the world and write down on paper pieces.
now i am ok.go on.go on writing!!!!

Ellen said...
I liked the way you worded the feelings of discovery and how you expressed the journey of learning about yourself. Well written!!!!

Emmalee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 5, 2009 at 11:29 am:
I feel like we are the same person. It's creepy, really.

Arielle P. said...
This is a wonderfully concise way to capture the feeling of self-discovery.

WriterGrl replied...
May 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm :

I loved this essay and I can't help but notice how many similar feelings you and I have about writing. I feel the same way. In fact, right now, I don't know what I'm typing, I just am.

Now I need to go back, capitalize and punctuate things.