Effects of Bullying | Teen Ink

Effects of Bullying

May 22, 2011
By Anonymous

Every day in schools and on social networks across the nation, there are kids being bullied. These kids walk the halls with their heads down, frightened of evoking a negative reaction from their peers. Their self-esteem has been reduced to nothing by people trying to hide their own lack of confidence. The scars bullying leaves cause these kids to dislike close physical contact and avoid close relationships. These burdens will be carried with them for the rest of their lives.

Some of the victims of bullying have such low esteem they are too afraid to perform to their full abilities. Some tend to feel the need to prove themselves to everyone, and push themselves past their natural abilities. Others completely draw in on themselves and turn to violence. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold of Columbine High School were two students who were bullied and ended up going down in the books as committing the deadliest high school shooting in American history. Bullied students handle it in different ways, but none of them are good.

Another form of bullying is cyber bullying. This type of bullying tends to focus on physical appearance, social status, and sexual orientation. Cyber bullying can get so intense that the victims feel their only option is suicide. Cyber bullying has gotten out of control as students pick at their peers and tell them how worthless they are. The worst thing about this type of bullying is if the bully so desires, the entire Internet can see their interaction with their victim, thus furthering the humiliation felt.

Bullying is a serious problem in schools and networks and needs to be stopped. Everyday, more and more kids fall victim to it, and more and more are driven to the edge. Strong-willed, compassionate people need to step up and defend the victims of bullying.