Who I Am | Teen Ink

Who I Am

By Michaela Kern BRONZE, Valley View, Texas
Michaela Kern BRONZE, Valley View, Texas

At the sound of the gravel crunching beneath my feet, I walk across the driveway out into the barn, and see a familiar face peek out of the stall. I hear the welcome of a low warm nicker, like every morning at this time. This is my routine, excuse me, our routine. It is a routine I will happily wake up to repeat every morning for the rest of my life. My horse’s low warm nicker is what gets me out of bed every morning. My horse is what brings a smile to my face every morning, no matter how tired I am. He makes sure I smile every day. Winston Churchill once said, “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” In my case, this has always been a true statement. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been mesmerized by horses.
When I was seven I attended C-Bar Stables, a beginner horseback riding camp. I got a taste of what the horse life was like, and that is where my obsession started. I spent seven days riding for hours, taking care of my assigned horse, and learning the basics of horse care. My assigned horse was a sixteen year old Chestnut Quarter Horse named Cocoa. I adored her. When my parents picked me up at the end of the camp I was exhausted, I literally slept for twenty-four hours straight.
My parents bought me my first horse when I was eight, a beautiful eight year old bay and white paint named Valontine. Valontine is the best teacher I could have ever asked for. He has taught me several of life’s most valuable lessons without saying a word. He is gentle, respectful, and forgiving. He has taught me the responsibility that is required to take care of something that relies on you for everything. He has taught me to be patient, kind, and understanding. He has taught me to work hard, to make an effort, and to stay dedicated. Valontine, and every horse that I have encountered, has made me into the person I am today.