I Am a ... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am a teenager. I am ignorant, illiterate and irresponsible. I lie, cheat, steal and hate for no apparent reason. I am rude, inconsiderate and, to all appearances, completely lost. I have never known failure, loss or despair. I never talk to my parents about my life, and would never suffer being seen with them in public. I don't know the value of a dollar and am under the impression that money is cleverly disguised as foliage. I drive 90 miles an hour and cause wrecks, discord and trouble wherever I travel. I know nothing of events, current or past. I am superficial, loud and obnoxious. I am viewed with haughty disapproval as a person who drinks, smokes and parties at every opportunity.

I am a teenager. I am a stereotype. I have been cast unfairly in the role of an imprudent person who knows nothing, is inherently cruel, and always thinking of myself. I am the bane of a society of whom many have never read Tolstoy, Dickens, Bronte, Nietzsche or Rousseau. I am dismissed by many of the generation who fear the day when I become an adult, because then the world will surely fall to pieces. When people look at me, they evaluate through lenses tinted with suspicion, mistrust and doubt.

Some will never know that I am compassionate, humble and patriotic. I am an athlete, singer, artist and comedian. I am a daughter, sister, student and friend. I laugh and cry. I speak out and I brood. I love, dislike, and show indifference. I will be the next Nobel Prize winner, best-selling author, life-saving surgeon, president, or beloved teacher. I have lofty dreams and the ambition to make them reality. I have the determination and self-discipline to see every goal surpassed. I will go to college not just to party and have fun, but to pull myself one step closer to the destination I so greatly desire. Through kind words, intelligent conversation and common courtesy I will change the misconception of youth.

One day, one person at a time, I will show those who judge that they are wrong. When I am an adult there will be a new collection of disrespectful, reckless, hateful youth. Maybe, just maybe, when I look at them, I will see through the labels and see the promise of a future generation. For now, I am simply and proudly myself. I am faithful, loving and honest. I am inquisitive, intelligent and sincere. I am a leader, follower and teacher. I am a teenager.

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 2:03 pm:
I LOVED this! You did wonderfully describing the "typical teenager" and did even better describing who YOU are! I am favoriting this! :)

detpeace said...
This work was extremely well written and it is indeed powerful, but once again, this piece is not acceptable as a college essay. If your goal is to write a personal statement, this is not personal enough. 

harts said...
Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:28 am:
No matter how unique and powerful the language of this writing is, this is not a good college essay. Colleges want to learn who you are and what you want. They don't want blanks statements like "I am inquisitive, intellegent, a leader, etc." You made no effort to share your dreams and aspirations. However, the concept to redefine the stereotypes of the young generation is solid. Basically, adding in concrete examples and tangible statements will make this essay much better.

VenomSyre said...
I love how this is written, how the tone changes part way through. Its refreshing and new--great job

Missunderstood said...
Apr. 8, 2011 at 11:19 am:

I Love this essay i feel like i can relate to how you feel and i really enjoyed reading it and how you feel because people do juge the teen age world tomuch and lable us as bad kids/people when really we are good and just trying to figure out more about are self and get to are goal even if we make misstakes getting there.

Keep up the good work cus this is a good piece of work!!!

hanafan36 said...
May 18, 2010 at 8:09 am:
Fabulous. Most essays I have read are inconcistent--they start off well but end weak. You have no problem with this. I applaud your writing skills.

goddess_of_the_moon_123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was AMAZING. So powerful, and exactly what is true in our world. Keep it up, and I hope whoever reads this sees its genius too!

TheBusyInquirer said...
Hello Allyson! Very well written! One very very minor change-- I will go to college not just to party and have fun,--in that sentence, take out the "just" so it makes you even more credible. Great Work! Also, Could you please reply back and say what was the topic question to which this essay was a response for?