Euthanasia - Right or Wrong? | Teen Ink

Euthanasia - Right or Wrong?

May 12, 2011
By Anonymous

Does one ever wonder about euthanasia? Well this paper should inform one on why euthanasia hurts. Euthanasia carries the risk of non-voluntary euthanasia, even though the Constitution protects life; therefore, it should have the same punishment as criminal homicide.
The legalization of euthanasia may encourage health professionals to commit acts of non-voluntary euthanasia, which causes most countries to ban it. If the government legalizes euthanasia, it has risks. “First, legalizing voluntary euthanasia carries the risk that health professionals will commit acts of non-voluntary euthanasia” (Bagaric). If euthanasia becomes legal, this may cause health professionals to practice euthanasia without the patient’s consent. Only a handful of countries legalize euthanasia. “Across much of the world, euthanasia is illegal, with the exception of the Netherlands and Belgium where it has been legalized” (ProQuest Staff). Most of the world has a ban on euthanasia. Most countries ban euthanasia, but some health professionals ignore the restriction.

Even though the United States’ most important documents protect life, records show about 1000 cases of non-voluntary euthanasia. Records show a lot of cases of non-voluntary euthanasia. “There were about 1000 instances of non-voluntary euthanasia (that is, where death was caused without the patient’s consent) in each study; and in the first study 27 percent of doctors admitted to terminating a patient’s life without their request” (Bagaric). Many doctors admit to the act of patient euthanization without their consent. The United States protects life. “In the United States, the country’s founding documents recognize the importance of protecting life” (Ferguson 26). The Constitution and other important documents protect human life. The United States’ most important documents protect life, but some doctors ignore that statement.
The government prosecutes euthanasia as a homicide in the Unites States because of their morals. Euthanasia goes against the use of medicine. “Euthanasia is morally wrong and violates the basic principle of medicine to save lives” (ProQuest Staff). Euthanasia ignores that medicine can save lives. The United States treats euthanasia as a crime. “In the United States, euthanasia cases are prosecuted as criminal homicides” (ProQuest Staff). The United States does the right thing: they prosecute euthanasia as a homicide. Euthanasia is morally wrong and completely ignores medicine, so it is treated as a crime.

The United States’ main documents state that life is valuable and they protect it. Euthanasia risks being taken advantage of if the United States legalizes it. Surveys show that 27 percent of doctors illegally euthanize patients. But, since the United States protects lives, they will not legalize it. Euthanasia should have the same punishment as homicide to protect against its misuse.