MIT This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It’s 7:25 on a Friday night ... the opening night of my high school’s musical. The cast and crew are in a circle holding hands. Our director begins to speak and everyone’s energy level spikes. After pepping us up, she whispers a question, “What time is it?”

We respond, “Showtime.”

“What time is it?” she asks again.

“Showtime,” we reply.

Finally, she screams, “What time is it?”

We scream, “Showtime!” and the sound reverberates against the walls.

The only thought that crosses my mind in this circle has to do with my passion. Passion is the driving force behind every part of my life. I have passion for my friends and family, for serving and helping others, for learning and knowledge, but the area of my life I am most passionate about is theater. Theater excites me. I am now the best technician at my school because of all the hard work I do, usually as either the stage manager or light chair. Every week, especially before a performance, I work 15 to 20 hours. Theater is the one thing right now that challenges me, which is why I am more passionate about it even than school. I want to be challenged in school like I am in theater. I used to wake up every morning and wonder, What new and great things am I going to learn today? Now instead of being excited about school, I am challenged by what new set pieces I will build or what will happen at rehearsal.

One of the main reasons I am not excited by school is I’m bored with the pace of classes. I learn faster and easier than almost everyone but instead of just tuning everything out, I keep interested by helping others learn the material. I have discovered I am good at finding little tricks to explain something so classmates will understand what the teacher is talking about. I would like to be more challenged in school, which is why I am excited to go to college. I want to go to MIT because I know that your university will challenge me. I believe that at MIT my passion for learning will once again equal my passion for theater or even surpass it. I want this to happen because I love to learn.

Sun-shine said...

First of all, I appreciate this author's confident in the way that the author shows his or her passion about getting challenged, of course, getting more attention of college admissions.

Benjamin is right, he knows what the applying student should not seem very arrogant, since applying student always think college wants student with great confident about theirselves. Ben made a good comment for the author, the author should remember that you are writting the essay to a pe... (more »)

Benjamin101 said...
Very nice essay in terms of style and usage. There are some errors so I suggest you proof read it. The second half of the essay wreaks of arrogance. Theatre in and of itself is not an academic pursuit. It can be argued that through theatre you get a better understanding of human behavior and a more profound sense of self. Yet there is no real academic benefit. Some of your claims, specifically that school is too easy for you, make you appear pompous. After reading this essay I feel as though I&#... (more »)

dkA.M replied...
Okay sorry to reply in a negative way, benjamin101, but I believe that she is trying to get into a college that is extremely challenging and that is not arrogance. She want's to be challenged, and it's true that high school does not prepare you for college, she was just trying to say that, well in my humble opinion, that she thrives on challenges and theatre gives her that, and going to MIT will help her reach that goal of being challenged in academics as well..... and before you criti... (more »)

Benjamin101 replied...
dkA.M, I am simply trying to help this student produce the best work possible. Nothing should be taken personally. There is a problem with modern era writings and thought, people cannot handle critique. I do not want to insult the author; I stated I thought it was a very nice essay. A writer posts their work here for constructive criticisms, yes? Never once did I claim it was impossible for a student to go through high school unchallenged. However, it is important to take into account the reader... (more »)

Mohammed H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 1:50 am
I have to agree. Certain statements in the essay show arrogance. The topic is really good. However, the admissions officers will most likely not want a student who finds that school is not worthwile.

Sun-shine replied...

Hi guys, please check out my lately comment.

Thank you!