Just Give Me a Chance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

There’s a girl who’s not your ordinary girl, by any means - she’s been through a lot more than you could imagine. This girl not only has faced miles of hopelessness, years of pain, and an ocean of sorrow, but also has been drowning in her own tears looking for an escape. This girl has taken on challenges with fear and fury. This girl is 17 years old, and every one of those years held a new obstacle to overcome. With her eyes full of betrayal and a heck of a fake grin, she doesn’t complain. From four elementary schools to a middle school and three high schools, she’s been through it all. She has been a “mother” to her brother, an angel to God, and a lost soul all at once. She is ambitious, outgoing, and will help anyone who needs it. She strives for the best and even what she can’t have. She wants a chance, a chance to make a difference. She has a story, one that should be heard. This girl is me.

What do I have to lose? Here I am, with a mind full of thoughts, a stomach full of knots, and a pounding migraine, but that’s not going to stop me. I am Jaimee, Jaimee Koryn. Where to begin? I could write about how hard my life has been, how depressing, lifeless and overwhelming the world seems, or how many schools I’ve been to, or how many houses I’ve lived in and with how many people. Or maybe I could just tell you about how I have been betrayed by two fathers, and then my beloved mother, who overdosed and tried to commit suicide? Or, even better, I could tell you how my stepfather’s prescription drug and alcohol problems have affected me. I could ramble on about my best friend’s death and how I watched my brother be taken from my mother and given to my stepfather. But no, I’ll save you the time and empathy.

I may sound blunt, or even rude, but don’t judge me just yet. Really, I am shy, quiet, and never disrespectful. I am unique and have been through a lot. That might make me fragile, emotional, and a bit sensitive, but I seem to manage. Confused as I am, I know what I want and what I can accomplish.

What I need right now is not sympathy. What I need and want is a chance, a very big chance at this four-year school. I know, trust me, I know I shouldn’t be setting my goals any higher than a two-year junior college with my 3.0 GPA. Well, to tell you the truth, the person from my freshman to junior year hasn’t been me. I haven’t exactly been able to show my true colors.

I have been buried in everyone around me. I am not like the many who don’t care about school and are enthralled with drama and the whole high-school scene. I consider myself the opposite. You wouldn’t see me at a football game or a pep-rally; I would probably be taking care of my brother. I have things to deal with in my everyday life that few 17-year-olds do. I have been knee-deep in problems, whether my family’s or mine. There hasn’t been just one bump in the road for me; I am on a never-ending road with a bump every mile, a road that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

During my high-school career I have been so consumed with taking on responsibilities and family issues that it seems as if my whole experience has passed me by. More than anything, I would love to replace my grades these last few years, but I know that is impossible. At least I am here now, determined as ever, writing this so-called “college essay.”

Who knows, maybe if I even had a chance at an average high-school life, I would still be where I am today. I am not saying I could have been the outstanding or ideal student, but I know that my best isn’t what I have demonstrated. In fact, I feel as I have accomplished almost nothing. It was impossible for me to run my family and be a student at the same time.

I strongly believe that I deserve a chance at this four-year school. I know I can make a difference, that I can turn my life around, and I know I can turn my fake grin into a beautiful, satisfied smile.

I’m positive that you receive essays like mine every day, but mine is in many ways unlike anyone else’s. I have been debating writing this for a very long time and finally now, at the most wrong time possible, I am writing it. You might think this school needs people who strive for the best, have extra-curricular activities and sports, as well as perfect grades and off-the-charts test scores, and I couldn’t agree more. I can’t tell you that I have any of those, but I am capable of anything and would be grateful for an opportunity to show you.

I would be absolutely honored to be accepted at this university. I do not want your sympathy, because I know I will soar to places never dreamed of, even if my wings are clipped. Because for me, and my life, it’s a different story, a story without an ending.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the June 2006 Teen Ink Nonfiction Contest.

CaitLoretta said...
Feb. 5 at 11:01 pm:
I loved the beginning of your essay, but then when you got to the part about your 3.0 gpa, it got very cliche. You were basically telling the schools why you shouldn't go there. Also, schools (no matter how much you wish they didn't) see your grades and behavior in high school as reflective of your future college plans. So, I just thought it wasn't the best approach. 

Bebax3 said...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 8:57 am:
i  personally loved the beginning because your caracter starts out as a girl who has been thru a lot and hides her feelings and i feel like a lot of people can really relate to that good work i loved it (:

SilverLunaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm:
This is great. I myself am beginning the process of writing college essays, and this was the truest example of someone showing who they are. This was very inspiring. I hope that no one says no. Keep  using your voice like that, and no one will be able to say no.

SilverLunaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm :
After reading the below comments, I have to say something to those as well. This is TeenInk and I have been on here for about 2 going on three years. If there's one thing I know is that this is supposed to be a safe place. It's a place where when look at someone's work, we give them positive feedback. Positive. Not negative. All of the people who have commented on this article don't even seem to be members of the site--do you know how it feels to have someone do that to your work? You put... (more »)

Bebax3 replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:02 am :
that is so true no one should be putting negativity on something someone worked on so hard it shows that this person put a lot of thought into this essay and yu never know what if this is based on that persons life and ur juss tht obnoxious to write something mean like have some sensativity

lows said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm:
i loved your essay.keep writing and reach for the stars.