Flying This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Ever since I was old enough to dream, I have imagined myself soaring with the eagles. My love of flying has sculpted the way I live and the person I have become. Two years ago that passion rocketed to new heights when I had the opportunity to visit Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona. For a whole week I lived in a college dorm, roomed with a total stranger, and - best of all - I flew!

My group took part in activities ranging from learning about the history of aviation to flying in state-of-the-art pilot training simulators. At least once a day, I strapped myself into one of the world’s best training aircraft, the Cessna 182. Not only did I receive thorough ground instruction, but I also got to fly. In total, I logged five hours toward receiving my private pilot’s license. In that one joyous and oh-so-short week, my passion for aviation grew even stronger. Now, whenever I see a plane flying overhead, I feel a sense of pride thinking, I’ve done that.

During my time in and above the Arizona desert, I learned not only about the mechanics and techniques of aviation, but also about myself and how I see the world. As I floated in that seemingly endless sea of air, I became aware of the variety and complexity of the humanity below. On the ribbons of roadways, each tiny car carried people with hopes and dreams. I clearly remember thinking, I wonder if any of those people has ever wished to fly like an eagle? Then I realized that each must have his or her own dreams and aspirations. That’s what makes us unique. We try to respond to something special inside us. I also realized that I was especially fortunate to be making my own dream come true.

Everywhere I go, I hear, “Do what makes you happy, and you will be happy.” It sounds like standard advice, but I’ve really thought about it and taken it to heart. I couldn’t care less about how much money I make or what benefits I receive. I know that I am already in hot pursuit of my dreams. And, even if they change, even if they ultimately don’t involve aviation ... I’ll always aim to fly with the eagles.

ThatAuthor said...
today at 9:19 am
Incredible piece! I too know what it's like to fly, and it has been my dream since I was little to take control of an aircraft and fly high above the sky. I flew in a Grob Tutor, and at one point, the pilot turned off the engine, so we were gliding in silence. Soaring through the air and being in control of a plane is an amazing experience. I completely understand your passion. -Ella

mlittle2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20 at 12:14 pm
This was nice!

cj3210987This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 20 at 12:14 pm
You're stupid ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

mlittle2This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 20 at 12:15 pm
Excuse me? I was just trying to be nice, but you had to get all up in my biness. You're really stupid cj i dont like you

May 20 at 12:16 pm
"Excuse me? I was just trying to be nice, but you had to get all up in my biness. You're really stupid cj i dont like you" When you sound like a whiny b***h

May 20 at 12:17 pm
OMG i cant believe you said that im actually crying now ive had a bad day

May 20 at 12:17 pm
good kys mlittle

May 20 at 12:18 pm
what is so hurtful cj you dont even understand go kys first

May 20 at 12:18 pm
I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY

May 20 at 12:20 pm
Are you calling me poor? You don't know me, youre probably just this loser sitting in his english class alone trolling a poetry website just saying

May 20 at 12:20 pm
Nah that's probably you in your english class

May 20 at 12:21 pm
I dont like u

furqanghori said...
i liked your essay very much And by true heart i reccommend what you say

tyler48iss replied...
your wrong about all the things your saying