A Day in the Life

The amazing thing about life, is how redundantly redundant it is in its redundancy. Probably the most interesting thing that I can remember is that I got Windows 7 last week, (I should eat more blueberries). The average day is no different from the next, following a routine of waking up, going to school, wasting time, repeat.
‘course that doesn’t mean it’s boring.

At its essence, life is made up of not moments, nor people, but thoughts. Moments can be repeated and are an absolute; all lives have moments, and some share moments. Same goes with people, we all have a fast web of friends, mutual friends, relatives, and people whom we otherwise know. But thoughts! Everyone has different thoughts, all twisting in many different directions. Almost no two people share two thoughts at the same time. With that established, I believe that a story pertaining a simple day of thoughts, in fact, even just a morning, can be as extraordinary as say, skiing down a mountain, or wrestling a cougar. And it is with a thought that my day begins.

“Kyle!” calls my mom, “It’s time to get up!”

I groggily raise my heady from my pillow to see my phone-clock. “6:24?” I think, “That can’t be right! It was 10:40 a second ago!” I hesitate to get up; the blanket draped around me feels like a perfect amalgamation of cloth, cotton, dyes and fibers. That is, heavenly. “It would really suck,” I ponder, “to be a tree, especially if they’re self-aware. Always sitting in one spot, never moving, just stuck with thoughts and leaves. And they’re naked in the winter! They’d be cold, yeah… I should take a shower now.”

Standing up, I glance around the room. Visible is a bookshelf, a TV set, and a few fish tanks. The walls are an awful shade of white. “That’s dull,” I think, “I should paint the room. Red could be nice. Or maybe yellow, but then again whites nice.” I glance at my phone-clock, “6:30?!” I run out the room to take a shower.

“I should not have gotten up that fast,” I think, my head pulsating like a dying goose, “I’ve got head rush now. Hmm. I wonder why I think in contractions, I can think words as fast as I want! PeterPiperpickedapeckofpickledpeppers. Hehe. Yeah…” I turn the 93% stainless steel shower knobs to concoct the perfect combination of temperatures. I step into the steaming shower, “I wonder what it’d be like to be a steaming vegetable. That’d be… bad, actually it might be nice at first, steam is good. Steam is- OW!” Someone upstairs flushed a toilet, and the scalding water was burning my skin.

I finish washing and step out of the shower. “It’s about time to go to school,” I think, “Wait, do I have any homework? Math, done, Reading response, done, personal narrative… OH CRAP!” I run to the computer.

And here I am now.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really love the way you describe thoughts, because we all think somewhat strange things, and it's great that you could write that down!