The Silver Bullet | Teen Ink

The Silver Bullet

By Myles BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Myles BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

While people refer to a dog as man’s best friend, I have found that my most dependable friend has been my car. But this romance between my 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier and I didn’t begin with love at first sight. As a matter of fact, this friendship started off with a lot of animosity.
It was January, and I was a 16 year old with a plastic ID that represented the key to the open road. I was just missing one important item, and that was a car. Fortunately, my giving parents promised me a vehicle. I began my own car shopping at a well-known website, Lamborguini.com. I found plenty of safe, reputable cars that my parents could trust with their eldest and only son in the driver’s seat. Little did I know that my parents’ search for cars started at Craigslist, where they specifically searched for cars under $1,500. When my parents brought home the silver, 4-cylinder, stick shift, two-door 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier with 115 thousand miles, I continually thanked them but it was with a small sense of reluctance. While I expressed appreciation for the Cavalier, in the back of my mind I began scrutinizing my new vehicle for its imperfections.
I ended up finding aspects of my Chevrolet that I initially tagged as imperfections, but these were the characteristics of my car that I have grown to love. Each trait of uniqueness in my Cavalier represents my personality from head to toe. Specifically, my stick shift Chevrolet Cavalier tends to produce a bumpy ride. Therefore, the stick shift of my car can equate to my problem-solving abilities. No matter the difficulty of a challenge, I always persevere so that I may complete anything that I have started. Looking at my heat and air conditioning on my Chevrolet Cavalier, I quickly discovered a minor glitch within the power of the fan that blows the air into the car. The problem was that my heat would only work if I had the fan turned all the way up. So it was either freeze in winter, or I would have to endure a 20 mph blast of heat. But as I continued to deal with this malfunction, I found another similarity between my “silver bullet” and I. As I had mentioned, a task I have began is as good as done. But the thing is, I don’t just like to simply complete an obstacle I encounter. I want to fulfill a task with my utmost ability and efficiency. Like my heater in the Cavalier, my fan of work-ethic only runs at its highest potential. Finally, the fact that I had to manually roll down the windows proved to be a bit of an inconvenience. Nevertheless, I found yet another resemblance between the timeless Chevrolet Cavalier and myself. Like the windows of my car, my attitude towards everything I do is done through my own abilities. I am never looking for shortcuts, because I always want to learn and better myself as an individual. So if a certain assignment calls for rolling up your sleeves, getting dirty, and applying critical thinking skills. You better believe that I am always up for that sort of challenge.
Through the quirky attributes of the Chevrolet Cavalier, I discovered my own identity and what I am capable of. I am dependable, yet sporty. I am all business, yet I have my share of fun. I try to look good, yet I don’t mind getting dirty. Basically, not even a dating site could match a better couple than my Cavalier and me.