What Could Have Been | Teen Ink

What Could Have Been

By Chris Soldovieri BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Chris Soldovieri BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

I step into the ring at Homes High School and all I hear is… The distinct sound of nothing. This is my final throw, my final chance to advance from sectionals to state. This is the moment I have been waiting for, for three long years I have imagined myself in this exact same situation. I am ranked third going into sectionals and all I need to do is to hold my position and if I do that “state here I come.”

Flashback to a few days prior. At regionals, I am seeded in the top two for boy’s throwing. All I need to do is place in the top four and I will move onto Sectionals. I have been waiting for this opportunity since last year’s disappointing regional meet. My first two throws are good but the third needs to be better. Entering the ring for my third and final attempt, I get into position and go. Gliding through the ring like a pro and throwing the shot as far as possible. After my throw my body is hanging over the toe board. All I can think about is falling out and this throw not counting. After what seems like an eternity of not knowing if I will fall out or stay in the ring (properly about two seconds), my left leg comes back into the ring, I leave the ring, and wait for the judge to say the mark, “48ft 9in.” I feel ecstatic and if there was a roof, I would be able to jump right through it. I take second place by three feet and advance onto sectionals.

Back to reality. With this added confidence I know I can do it, state is only a throw away. I get into position and go. I throw, regain my balance, and exit the ring. All I can do is hope that this throw will be far enough to make it to state. After an hour of waiting (really five seconds) the judge finally says the results: “46ft. 1in.” I didn’t make it, num to everything around me; “all I can think about is all the hard work that I have put into track over the last four months.” And for what? Nothing. I didn’t make it to state…my one goal that for this year. For the next ten minutes I stand there staring at the ground trying to imagine what could have been. But I will not get that chance until my senior year. All I can do is hope and wait until I get this chance again because next time will be different. Next time I will advance and place at the state meet.