I Am a Lion | Teen Ink

I Am a Lion

January 17, 2011
By 1schallhorn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
1schallhorn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sometimes I see myself as a fierce lion. The king of the jungle. No worries, no regrets. Brave, bold, courageous…fearless. You got a problem? You come see me—I’m there. I got your back. I am strong. I am rock solid. I am a lion. But I can’t always be there for everyone…can I?

Her name was Amanda. I’ve known her since kindergarten. We shared our blocks, raced to the playground, studied together—and grew together. She was my best friend. Was. Like most girls, best friends come and go. Life rolls along. The business of a teenager crowds your life, clutters your thoughts. Before long, Amanda was just another stranger in the hallway. Looking back, I wish we had stayed closer. A lion has no regrets…

Realizing we were drifting apart, Amanda craved spending more time with me. But being in high school, having a job, and spending all my extra time with closer friends made it impossible. Occasionally, arranged a date to catch up with one another, but something would inevitably interfere. A king of the jungle is busy…

Knowing our senior-year’s summer was ahead of us, Amanda was determined to find some time when I wasn’t working, or I didn’t have to study, or I wasn’t too busy. But all of her attempts were in vain. I kept pushing her aside, putting her on the bottom of my “things-to-do” list. A lion can’t always be there…

It was a Tuesday evening when I received a call from my dad. “Honey, I have horrible news.” Hearing this made me quiver. He wasn’t speaking in his usual “hey! I’m Mr. Comical” voice. He explained a message was delivered to all the parents at my high school. A young lady by the name of Amanda was killed in a car accident at 1:30P.M. that day.

I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t cry. I was in shock. Why did this happen? She was so young. This can’t be real. It can’t be. It was all too overwhelming. Too devastating. A lion is brave… a lion is strong… Am I still a lion when I am alone?

Losing a friend is never easy. A best friend, an acquaintance, or a family member—it all is difficult. It’s been three months since the accident. Yes, I cried. Sometimes this lion will cry. To this day, there is a part of me that grieves and wishes I spent more time with her when I could have. Sometimes this lion has regrets.

Although it’s too late to change the past, it’s not too late to grow from it. Amanda’s death made me realize I must live each day to the fullest. I must tell the people I care about that I love them. I must use the time I have here on this earth, to make it enriching, fulfilling, and beautiful.

Amanda made me grow. With each passing day I am getting one step closer to becoming that fierce lion. The king of the jungle. No worries. No regrets…