College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

January 17, 2011
By CourtneyDeprez SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
CourtneyDeprez SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I wish iwoulddn’t have to be this way.” My mom said while her lips quivered.
“What are you talking about mom?” I said as cold, wet tears ran down the side of my face for an anxious response.

“Dad is leaving.”

I have continually heard of the importance of doing well and always doing my best, however, there have been some life experiences that have made things challenging for me. Upon entering high school, my parents split up and eventually divorced. My world as I knew iwouldd be forever different. It was school that was my normality, and I used it as my escape from the sadness I felt. I stayed involved in my sports, extra-curricular activities, and my social life while keeping my grades at a respectable 3.0 average. From my junior year to now, my youngest sister has been struggling with an eating disorder. Watching her battle her weight issues and being in and out of the hospital was emotionally upsetting, but again, school was my constant. I always thought about where I want to be when these life experiences are just memories.

So now I look forward to my future endeavors. My mom and dad have both remarried and I have a new family life, including three new stepsisters. My sister continues to recover but seems to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My education, my future, and my new life keep me focused on my dreams of college and becoming an elementary teacher.

It has been my academic dream to become an elementary teacher. So, I have been working hard during my high school career building a foundation that will allow me to realize my dreams. I look forward to making a difference to many children as they pass through my classroom.