My relationship with Jesus Christ and how it begin | Teen Ink

My relationship with Jesus Christ and how it begin

Jesus is my second father. He is always ready to listen when I need someone to talk to.
My father and I have never exactly seen eye to eye. It is because we are too much alike. We had different opinions about the colleges I should apply to. I began to cry as I screamed at him, and he yelled even louder back.
I slipped my shoes on, sprinted outside, unlocked my car, and jumped in. I revved the engine and sped out of my driveway. I got to the stop sign and realized I did not know where I was going.
I arrived at my grandparents’ house, and my grandfather greeted me at the door with an ice cream cone in hand. He let me in and we walked into the kitchen. My aunt was eating ice cream at the table. I sat down next to her, and my grandpa handed me a cone with butterscotch ice cream. As I sat and ate my cone in silence, I prayed to God. I prayed He could help me have patience next time I talked to my father, and I could have strength to hold my tongue next time he yelled at me. To just swallow my pride and be quiet.
My grandma walked into the kitchen in her pajamas. She grabbed three Bibles. And handed me an Amplified Version of the Bible. We had a mini Bible study. As we flipped through the Bible, my grandma went to Galatians 5:22-23. Which talks about the fruit of the Spirit, one of which is patience. My grandmother told me my dad loves me and I must be patient with him. I flipped to Genesis 9:12-17. This is my favorite verse. Where God promises He will never flood the earth again. He explains the sign of his convent is a rainbow after it rains. She told me I should not forget my dad loves me. I told her I knew, and she gave me a hug.
When I finally left, I went in my car and prayed asking God to forgive me. I thanked God I had the opportunity to have Bible study with my grandma. I prayed for a safe ride home and closed in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Jesus listened to me and answered. I went home and apologized to my dad. I gave him a hug and told him I was sorry for arguing. Galatians 5:22-23.
When I was in second grade, I met God. I knew a little about him, but had never asked Jesus into my heart.
School had just started and I felt lucky to have Ms. Kohler as my second grade teacher. The first day she read a chapter from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to my class. I was dazzled by Harry and his magical abilities. How he could simply get on a broomstick and fly up in the clouds just like the birds. My innocent imagination was stunned by all the possibilities.
I came home from school that day excited to share with my mom all about Harry Potter and his adventures. And I did not get the response I was expecting. She told me it was not possible to be a wizard, do magic, or fly on a broom. I felt extremely disappointed and ran upstairs to have one of my crying fits.
Later, my mom came into my room, gave me a hug, and took me into her bathroom. She asked me if I thought Jesus would want me to be a wizard. To be totally honest, I had not exactly asked for his opinion. I told her no. She asked me if I understood that Jesus died for me. I told her I did. The she asked me the big question. “Katie, do you want to pray with me and ask Jesus into your heart?”
Upstairs in my parents bathroom is where I accepted Jesus into my heart.

God is what inspired me to write this piece. Sorry to all you atheists out there. But I hope that people understand that you can't just believe in nothing. Something has to keep you going. And I hope people realize that there is something out there to believe in.