The Best Advice | Teen Ink

The Best Advice

By Brittany Buhs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Brittany Buhs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My father always said, “You can’t stop the rain from falling, but you can choose to use an umbrella.” I figured he got it from a book…maybe an e-mail or a fortune cookie. But I never got the meaning of it until I went to high school.
From pre-school to eighth grade, I attended a private school. Though the class choices were limited, I loved it, and benefited from the one-on-one attention. When it came time for ninth grade, I thought I would continue in private school. But one unfortunate evening, my parents told me I would have to attend the local, closer, public high school. I was devastated. This was the “rain” my dad told me about.
Despite my initial disappointment, public school helped me in ways that a private school couldn’t. Without the personal attention, I took initiative to help myself. I have to raise my hand in class to ask a question, because the teacher won’t come to me. It gave me the opportunity to take harder classes, and learn how to function in classes larger than fifteen people. I had the privilege of taking Honors Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, which gave me a deeper understanding of the subjects. In addition, my school offers foreign languages such as Japanese and Chinese, which teach not only a different spoken language, but also a different written one. So rather than taking public school as a punishment, I have pushed myself into participating in clubs, activities, and classes that a private high school probably wouldn’t offer, like French, Japanese, and Key club. So this was me using an umbrella.
I finally understand my father’s quote: life has disappointments and challenges, but I can choose to make the best of it, grow from it, and use my umbrella.