How will I enrich your community | Teen Ink

How will I enrich your community

January 4, 2011
By mstapel357 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
mstapel357 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally ad socially. In order to give us more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?
I remember always being frustrated. I struggled to learn simple facts, as I sat at the kitchen table not knowing how to do my homework.

In second grade, I was diagnosed with dyslexia. What came easy to most students, did not for me. I could never understand why my friends were done with their homework before me and understood what was being presented in class. School was like being in a foreign country not being able to speak the language. But small all of this changed after I received special education services. These services taught me how to learn and compensate for my disability.
During my junior year, I was asked to speak on a student panel to grade school students who have disabilities.

My message is to “always advocate your needs and always stick up for yourself.”

In one instance I was asked by an eighth grader, “What if you are afraid to talk to your teacher during class?”

I replied “Ask them before or after class. Once you have the courage talking to them becomes easier.”

These students need to know that I have been through this. My goal is to inspire them to develop self-advocacy skills.

Today, I speak on student panels at my high school, involving the local grade schools, as well as at student workshops. I enjoy being a positive role model to the younger students.

After all of the things I have learned from my younger years in school, I am ready to succeed and live my life.