Determination. | Teen Ink

Determination.

When I woke up that day, I remember feeling like it was going to be a bad day. It was dark and my mother and father were having an argument. I was in the middle. My uncle took me in his room so I wouldn’t hear their discussion, but it was impossible to hide their problems from me. My uncle always says to be determined, don’t let these things change your goals. However, I did the opposite, I didn’t go to school all the time, and when I did, I didn’t do the work. I would stay out with friends until very early in the morning. Later, when I was 13 or 14 years old, I had many experience that helped me stop listening to my father and do the right things.
My dad decided to go to the United States so he left me in Ecuador. He make this decision thinking that he would find a better life or a change for himself my mom and me, but here is when the worst time of my life began. My dad’s family treated my mom and me differently , they believe they are in a higher social level, than my mom and me but at that time I was too young to understand why they were treating us differently, one year after my dad left me I didn’t know anything about him. When I was eleven years old I always went to different places with friends trying to kill time because I didn’t want to go back to my house. Later, my mom told me that we were going to go to the U.S.A. I was just worried about my grandmother because she was very old and she was the most important person in my life. She treated me like a person and a friend but I ended up going to the U.S.A without her.
When I came to the U.S.A, the first thing that I did was look for my father. I found out that my father has a condition that makes him aggressive but all the medicine he takes keeps him serene. I was very surprised that he changed so drastically the way that he talk the way that he reaction to things makes him seems like a slave of his medicine , but I was not so impacted because he came to the U.S.A. when I was three or four years old, so I lived my life without him. After 5 months my grandmother, was sick and later she died, that’s one of the experiences that most impacted I felt destroyed inside, but some people say if something doesn’t kill you then it only makes you stronger and that’s what happens to me my personality change and my way of thinking. After that I decided to go to work in a factory. In this job I learned how to be responsible and on time for everything which is what I unlike when I was younger and also going to school and studying very hard and practiced all my subjects, my teachers were very surprised because I began to take school seriously, especially when I started High School because I knew that the next step was college and it would require determination to continue my education and succeed in life.
These experiences helped me to discover that you can control your future and take control of your life even if there are many obstacles that are difficult to cross. I needed to go through all of this to change my personality and be successful.