The Perceptive Fox | Teen Ink

The Perceptive Fox

November 28, 2010
By MikaelaMarzano BRONZE, Yorba Linda, California
MikaelaMarzano BRONZE, Yorba Linda, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The world I have emerged from is comparable to that of the eager and cunning fox, which knows its boundaries and crosses them with caution and intelligence. Many would find it strange that I would depict myself as possessing the lowly and squalid temperament that the vixen in associated with; however, the environment the fox dwells in has brought the it amazing qualities that people have deluded from, including independence, cooperation, and perseverance.

The world the fox awakens to is lonely; being a renegade from the canine species, a fox does not confide to packs or base it’s survival on any other individual. Such independence is analogous to the enjoyment I feel when I am able to accomplish tasks by own merit. In my own personal life, I have not been able to rely on my family to ensure my survival, because my mother fell victim to an alcohol addiction during my first year of high school. However, like the fox, I do not find this independent lifestyle to be a somber existence; rather, an opportunity to prosper and apply what I have learned to my future. Eager to seize the task at hand, the fox is willing to take pride in its own abilities to outwit its competition. Likewise, I trust in my own abilities and intelligence to lead me above and beyond the requirements of an objective. Therefore, like the independent fox, I have learned to trust in my own abilities and strive to acquire success on my own.

Although the forest is a lonely place and the fox takes pride in accomplishing its own goals, it also values relationships on a personal level. Observers lucky enough to study the world of the fox have found that foxes are some of the only animals that “date” their mates. Fox couples have been seen wandering the forest playing and hunting together. Like the fox, I trust in my own abilities, I also find fulfillment in working in groups and bringing out the best qualities in others. I have found in my life, that for some time I had isolated myself; like the solitary fox. By developing social skills and opening myself up to my classmates, I found great comfort in helping others and allowing others to help me. The inability to depend on my family, has taught me that personal relationships are very important; therefore, I will seize any given opportunity to get to know my peers and co-workers on a personal level. My desire to develop close relationships and ability to bring out the best qualities of others are what will lead me to at my university and in my future career as a therapist.
Foxes are commonly known for their thieving of chickens and ability to escape from traps. Although the path to the farmer’s chicken coop leads the fox into the eyes of the hunter, it perceives the danger and becomes eager to outwit its opponent. This is comparable to my desire to strive for higher goals and my ability to learn from bad experiences. I have learned from my world, that the greatest of risks- if analyzed carefully- can yield the best opportunities for knowledge and growth. For example, it is because of my mother’s alcoholism that I will never drink liquor. Likewise, I know that if my parents have only have pursued attending a community college, I want to strive for a University. The fox’s ability to learn from observing, gain knowledge from mistakes, and leap over the boundaries of a fence, represents the qualities that will bring success in my life and future career in Psychology.
With the hunter constantly in pursuit, the world of a fox is dark and frightful; however, I divulge that it is the darkest of places where the stars shine brightest and the greatest dreams fathom.


My love for the fox comes from my naturally perceptive attitude. Although many would view foxes as dangerous thieves, I view them as dauntless creatures that make their decisions based upon their desire for survival. I find sympathy for even the worst of drug-addicts and angriest of teenagers. Just as the fox carefully observes a situation before acting, I find joy in analyzing and gaining a deeper understanding of the individual and meditate on the best way to assist them. My perceptive qualities lead me away from judgment; rather towards observation and unbiased analysis.
My love for the fox comes from my naturally perceptive attitude. Although many would view foxes as dangerous thieves, I view them as dauntless creatures that make their decisions based upon their desire for survival. I find sympathy for even the worst of drug-addicts and angriest of teenagers. Just as the fox carefully observes a situation before acting, I find joy in analyzing and gaining a deeper understanding of the individual and meditate on the best way to assist them. My perceptive qualities lead me away from judgment; rather towards observation and unbiased analysis.

I am proud of this quality because it has led me to close relationships, personal serenity, and has proven effective in the lives of others. Being naturally sympathetic and able to listen to a viewpoint without judgment, I have found that people are naturally drawn to me. It's not unlikely for someone that I haven't talked to for months to approach me with the deepest of their problems. I believe this is because they are able to sense my perceptive abilities and find comfort in my advice. One way in particular that I was able to practice this skill was in Alateen, a support group for children with alcoholic parents. I found myself helping children who had drug addictions, different sexual preferences, and anger issues. Though the world would commonly shun these people I found that by truly listening to a persons viewpoint means imagining what its like to be them. In the end I concluded that these kids weren't horrible people, rather they were deprived of the help they needed because of their parents alcoholism.

The ability to help people by following them into the story of their life is what brings me the most happiness. I find that the more people I am able to help with their problems brings my own problem to rest. Due to the joy that helping others brings me, I have decided to pursue a career in Psychology. Psychology will help me strengthen my skills of perception by teaching me how exactly the brain produces different viewpoints. I am eager to bring my knowledge to those who need it and provide my sympathy and viewpoint for my peers in college.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for my college essay, I'm open to ideas. I haven't submitted it yet.