Epic Fail | Teen Ink

Epic Fail

By lindseeey14 BRONZE, Orange, California
lindseeey14 BRONZE, Orange, California

I failed. Yes, I am a part of the 26.2 percent of teenagers who on average fail their first time. I’m going to be honest and say that it was quite possibly the worst experience of my entire life. Most people say, “Oh I hate the DMV!” or “It’s okay everyone fails their first time!” From my perspective- which was definitely way off balance at the time- it was heartbreaking. I was always the girl who could do everything. I achieved scholastic grades with little to no effort at all. With agility and grace I owned the athletic and dance stages. My teachers continuously praised me for my efforts in school. But all the instant gratification did not prepare me for the reality that would soon hit me harder than an Antarctic glacier. I failed. I, at the age of 16, failed my California driver’s test.

On my 16th birthday, January 7, 2010, I sashayed into the Santa Ana DMV. Birthday balloons in hand, I mentally prepared myself for my examination. As my mother and I entered the crowded room I took in the aurora of, well, irritation as everyone in the room wished they could be elsewhere. The seemingly nice lady behind the counter screeched, “NEXT,” as I jumped right up ready to accept my license on the spot. I assumed they could tell I was such an outstanding driver, a test just wouldn’t be necessary. I am Lindsey Elliott; just give me the papers and I will scadattle right on out the door to my car. Yet, to my dismay, I had to take the test. I psyched myself to dominate as I drove out of the parking lot. No one was stopping me. Unfortunately, Jen stopped me. The emotionless DMV lady Jen failed me after less than 5 minutes. If she only knew how much of an impact she had on a confident 16-year-old.

This is only the beginning of many failures I will face throughout my life. Clearly I have failed before in other ways, but not in anything quite as important. Growing up, everything was handed to me on a shimmering golden plate ready for me to snatch at anytime. I realize now that life is not easy. Achievements and awards are not given to you just because. I grasped this concept and recognized I was not ready to have my license. I didn’t check for every little detail before I made turns; I didn’t make complete stops at stop signs. I was not equipped to take on the open road as a lone soldier. I eventually accepted this fact, practiced my little heart out, and passed my next test. I had to work for it, but I received what I wanted. Through this experience, I have grown and learned that if you want something you must reach for the stars and try your best to attain your aspirations. I have applied this theme in my life and profound effects have surfaced. I was not accepted into a dance class at school after my first try. After speaking with the instructor and working on my technique and showmanship, I tried out again and was accepted. I am a hard worker with dreams that will manifest with my diligence and, of course, hard work.

I wrote this for my English class and I might actually use it for a college essay next year