Cinderella, Cinderella

I tottered up the stairs one by one, and glared into the illustrious lights beaming down on me. My heart was racing, and my stomach was swarming with butterflies; I took one deep breath. I belted out, “A lovely night, a lovely night...” I swung around my arms and twirled myself like an uncoordinated, want-to-be ballerina. I was trying out to be a stepsister in the musical, “Cinderella”.

Two days after the audition I went on the computer every two minutes checking to see if the cast list was posted yet. I scammed the page looking every where for my name. There it was “Amber Costa-Stepsister (Portia)”. My face lit up, and I couldn’t help but smile. I dashed upstairs to my parents yelling, “I got it, I got it!”

That was my first lead role in a show. I had tried out for more shows than I can count on my fingers. When I was up on stage, I felt like I belonged up there. I loved the way it made me feel-nervous, happy, silly, sad, or frustrated. I knew that I could play off those feelings. I realized after that show, that I could do anything I put my mind to. I worked so hard to get a part, and I got it all on my own. I learned that all the rejection just made me work harder, and without it I wouldn’t be the actor or person I am today.