Lesson learned hard way | Teen Ink

Lesson learned hard way

It was on October 1, 2010, school’s homecoming night. I was on the bleachers at the football game with a bunch of my friends. One of my friends who moved to Texas just came back for the weekend. He offered me a drink and I didn’t reject the offer. I didn’t think much. I got carried away by peer pressure. It was completely my fault choosing to do so. I did not realize just how serious the consequences of my stupidity were, nor did I realize the legal and health implications. I was drunk before I even realized it.
There is absolutely no excuse for what I did. I take full responsibility for my misconduct. I didn’t just break the school’s drug and alcohol policy, but the federal drinking age as well.
What I have done is now part of who I am. No one can change that. I had a choice, either to accept 10 day suspension as punishment and gain nothing from it, or to reflect on my mistakes and learn from them in addition to the punishments. I have met a half dozen times with an alcohol and drug counselor and grounded myself for one additional month. I have been tough on myself ever since.
My mother told me not to be too hard on myself, because what’s really important is what I learned from it, than what happened. She tried to comfort me by saying that I would been fine if it happened back in my home country, where drinking age is 18, but I am in America and I have to abide by its law. She told me to move on from my mistakes and start new. But I should be more self-controlled and hard on myself than I am to others. Easy lessons shall be forgotten easily while hard ones shall not.
Dealing with peers has always been very difficult. I felt un-cool or left out not going with the general flow, so most of times I did things that my friends did or what they wanted me to do. But now, I learned not to. Friends are good and crucial parts in my life, but I shouldn’t do things I believe is inappropriate just because of peer pressure. I realized what they do isn’t very important, but what I do is. It’s my life and I should do things that I think is right and conscientious to do fairly unaffected by my peers and friends. And good friends should respect that, if not I guess they aren’t worth being acquainted with.
I’m an adult now and should be responsible for whatever I do. There is no one to blame, but me. The ultimate decision came down to me and I’m the one who chose to drink. I learned my lesson the tough way, but I’m not complaining since it can ultimately shape me to become a better person. I never make the same mistake twice. It’s entirely up to me what I do with this experience. I’m choosing to go forward.

This is for disciplinary section on common application. This is how I exactly feel about after the incident. I'm just worried that I put too much same stuff on it. I'm not really sure if I should keep the part where my mom try to comfort me(I like 'I should be more self-controlled and hard on myself than I am to others. Easy lessons shall be forgotten easily while hard ones shall not.' and definitely keeping this part.) It will be great if you guys can give me some feed back on this.