Who Am I? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Who am I? Am I the teen who peruses dictionaries or the marketer who thrives on competition? Am I the athlete or the idealist? Do I enjoy the frothy sitcom or the heavy novel? Do I rise to the challenge or from my ashes? Am I the introvert who fails others' expectations or the extrovert who breaks others' barriers? Well, at one time or another I have been all of these and, because of that, I emerged stronger.

Not only have I emerged stronger but also wiser. My life has been a constant molding and sculpting of my identity, a mirrored sculpture in the works. One day I can be the successful student who ­readies himself for the world and another I can be the struggling workman who finds that no amount of preparation can solve his problems. During those times, I am a different person. But my failures do not imply defeat and my triumphs do not imply the end.

This year I realized I was not good enough to make the soccer team. After playing my passion for over 11 years, I had to give it up. I slouched as I departed from my final practice and pictured my name being slashed from the roster. I felt as though I had not only let myself down, but also my family who had cheered me on for over a decade, and my teammates who always lifted me during my lowest of lows. But my failure did not imply utter defeat. Instead of mourning, I found a silver lining. Other endeavors – including work and studies – washed over my regret and cleansed my mind of failure. I now look forward to working and studying more for personal success. But as always, this is not the end.

I have grown wiser from my failure at soccer but where do I take this newfound wisdom? Do I take my hardscrabble pay and invest in the future or do I take my hard-earned grades and invest in my studies? Do I take a risk and go for gold or do I play it safe and go home with a story untold?

There are always at least two roads to take in life, and my decisions leave me with another chisel mark in my sculpture. An athlete, a marketer, an idealist, a quagmire, an introvert, an extrovert, the funny guy, the serious persuader, the other guy. At one time or another I have been all of these and, because of that, I am me. So does my unfinished masterpiece fit into your hall of academia?

cute girl said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 11:11 am:
i like your  essy who i m

Bella said...

I like this..Its simple, yet a pleasant piece of work to read...

M.Bari said...
That was an outstanding essay (: